Discuss Advice on Pulling 6 mm2 single core cable through 20 mm Conduit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Maximus Rumpas

Hi,

I would like to ask your advice about how difficult it might be to pull cables through 20 mm plastic conduit. (easy, moderate, hard, impossible)

I am running two separate lines for a cooker and hob in 6 mm2 single core stranded cable. Both runs will follow the same route.

4 meter run from distribution board via 90 degree inspection bent to an inspection box next to soil stack.

Next 2.5 meter run through Bathroom/Kitchen wall to an inspection box under sink (minor set to allow for wall levels)
Then either
4 meter run, chased into wall via 90 degree inspection bend to a third inspection box.
or
4 meter run via 300 mm drop to Floor level - two 90 degree inspection bend to the third inspection box.

Lastly 1.5 meter run to cooker or hob isolation switch.

On completion permanent access to inspection boxes - limited access to 90 degree inspection bends.

Your thoughts please.

Kind regards
Max

Mate they make conduit in larger sizes than 20mm. I would go 25mm.

Thanks Sintra,

Due to limited clearance in some areas I would like to avoid using a larger conduit if it were possible to use 20mm. If the advice is that it is impractical then I will have to use a larger size.

Max

I'm not understanding you? Can't you just tell us how many cables are in any one conduit and the sizes of the cables? You will struggle with 6mm in 20m conduit a specially with a bend. I think that's a no go

Hi Gazzaabc,

I thought I had - separate feeds to cooker and hob in 6 mm2 single core stranded cable Live, neutral and a smaller earth. Three cables in total in one conduit run. I thought I might struggle and that I should go for 25mm but wanted to check first.

Kind regards
Max

Max if your using plastic pipe you can buy 2 types of elbows! Buy the larger type. it's a bigger and longer bend but its not as harsh on the bend as the smaller one and makes life a lot easier.

If the earth is smaller you will defo get 3 cables down a 20m pipe if only 2 of them are 6mm. You won't even struggle

OP stated "I am running two separate lines for a cooker and hob in 6 mm2 single core stranded cable. Both runs will follow the same route." I am taking this as 2 circuits 6 x 6mm singles.

Hi Sintra,

O, I see how I might have confused you, sorry. One run for the cooker and a second for the hob. each conduit carries 2 x 6 mm2 + 4 mm2 earth. Apologies to all.

Max

All clear now lol.

Max if your using plastic pipe you can buy 2 types of elbows! Buy the larger type. it's a bigger and longer bend but its not as harsh on the bend as the smaller one and makes life a lot easier.

One's an elbow, the other a bend.........I believe!

personally i would have run one 20mm and 5 x 6mm should go through with swept bends you can share the earth and t box to first isolator then angle box up to second isolator i dont see a problem i am positive you can get all 5 x 6 mm in one 20mm conduit unless you are useing double insulated but there is no reason to if its in conduit

personally i would have run one 20mm and 5 x 6mm should go through with swept bends you can share the earth and t box to first isolator then angle box up to second isolator i dont see a problem i am positive you can get all 5 x 6 mm in one 20mm conduit unless you are useing double insulated but there is no reason to if its in conduit

I take it then, that you have never heard of maximum conduit fill?? Your suggestion would contravene just about every rule in the book!! lol!!

I take it then, that you have never heard of maximum conduit fill?? Your suggestion would contravene just about every rule in the book!! lol!!
well ive seen em with that many cables in em eng....its a wonder how they ever managed to get em all in there at all...

heres a prime example of something i came across a bit back at a factory i was doin some work on....lol...

Copy of Picture 029.jpg

Reply to Advice on Pulling 6 mm2 single core cable through 20 mm Conduit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net