Discuss Advice on qualifications needed. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hello, looking for a bit of advice if anyone could shed some light. With all the qualifications that are available now I have no idea where mine stand and what I should look to do.

I completed the c&g 2330 level 2 and 3 at college age, but on full time not apprenticeship so no nvq. Also got c&g 2377.

Have worked doing various electrical jobs over the years but recently been working as an industrial electrician for three years.

I’m looking too top my qualifications up and would like to know what route i’d need to take to be regarded as a fully qualified electrician in

1. Domestic setting
2. Industrial setting.

I believe from what I can make out 18th edition is required for both but an AM2 test would also be needed for the domestic setting

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated

Hi thanks for the reply. I’m presuming you are referring purely to the domestic aspect there? Also should state when I say industrial I don’t mean carrying out full installations more repairs on three phase and single phase control systems, automation, plc and relay logic. So not sure if the inspection and testing of fixed installations would be suitable?

That looks more applicable to what I do currently. So if I was to undertake the 2356 I’d be classed as fully qualified? Is there any legal obligation to have any of these qualifications or is it all just to help prove competence should an accident happen?

Yes, the 2356 would make you "fully qualified ".

No there is no legal obligation to have any qualifications as far as I'm aware.

It's worth doing the NVQ3 though as you would then be eligible for a JIB (ECS) Gold card which would make you more desirable should you ever look for other work as an electrician.

That’s great thanks for the information.

Is there any requirements to sit the course for the 18th edition or can I just sit the exam? Some websites state that if you haven't say 17th edition you’d need to sit full three day course, but I have covered the regs book 17th edition pretty heavily and have it all labelled up, and just bought an 18th edition book and labelled that up so after sitting the free simulator for a while I’d be pretty confident in just sitting the exam.

ok so just about completed everything now. was wondering if there was any reccomendations for somewhere that provided HND's in the same assesment format, fully online.

cheers

Reply to Advice on qualifications needed. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock