Discuss Advice on replacing fluro batten with LED in garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Yesterday I replaced one of my 2 Fluro battens in my garage with a 60W LED. This was the more complicated one (lots of wires) or so I thought but I had it working fine after a little patience.

Today I have gone to replace the second fluro and what I thought would be a simple job - only 3 wires. Take 3 wires out, connect live and neutral to the batten and fit the light to the roof...

When I switch on the garage lights both LED's do not come on instantly, when they do come on they flicker and look like they are not getting enough power as they are dim.

I have double checked there are no loose wires. Help please!

Read more: Garage Batten - flickering LED's now I have replaced Fluro. - https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/garage-batten-flickering-leds-now-i-have-replaced-fluro.521280/#ixzz5kgej4msQ

Going to need some pics of the connections and decide which forum you are going to follow, batting ideas between the two will get you negative responses.

Going to need some pics of the connections and decide which forum you are going to follow, batting ideas between the two will get you negative responses.

Photos uploaded, many thanks for your input. The first photo is for the batten yesterday, it was working perfectly.

The second image is the wiring to the batten I tried to install today. Switching the light switch on results in a slow start for the two battens and then dim flickering. Many thanks

Advice on replacing fluro batten with LED in garage IMG_5148 - EletriciansForums.net

Advice on replacing fluro batten with LED in garage IMG_5149 - EletriciansForums.net

If you're not a spark (I'm guessing you're not), then I would advise you get one in. The connections on the first look to be all over the place.

Further advice on the internet (i.e. without being able to carry out the required testing) is likely to yield a bang test or two or an unsafe installation.

Looking at it, I'd be looking at 1 hour to sort it out, any more than that (assuming there are no other issues) is going to be taking the pee somewhat in my opinion.

I assume these both operated from the same switch.

needs an Italian spark to sort out that spaghetti.

I am happy to pay to be honest but finding someone is not that easy where I live as I am out in the sticks. I have had 2 phone conversations and neither can come for over a week!

I guess that one is the switched live and I have messed up the neutral when swapping over the fitting. Therefore I am not getting the correct voltage to both?

There was no marks on the blue to signify a switched live....

Can anyone at least help me get back to having one working LED until someone can come out next week. The first photo had the LED working can I set up the wires in the second photo so they make a circuit an allow the LED in the other batten to work until the guy I booked can come out at the back end of next week?

Thanks

Your description matches what I see in the pic - it seems you've connected the two fittings in series at the first point instead of parallel. When you had changed the first fluo to LED, it was actually wired wrongly but seemed to work OK as the small current needed by the LED was flowing through the fluo batten's low resistance. When you changed that to LED too, and removed the low resistance path through the fluo, the error at the first fitting showed up and it stopped working.

If you are familiar with the conventions of loop-in wiring, you will spot two things obviously wrong at the first point.

I'm having Italian for tea, does that count? I FULLY appreciate that 99.9% of you on here have worked hard for your qualifications and have the experience to match. In my job I see lots of 'punters' too. Some I help (and laugh at), can I have someone willing to do that please?

I get that the switched live is one of the blue wires, I can google looped in wiring but everyone looking at this thread can guess I do not have a Scooby.... The switched live wasn't marked. I kept fiddling until the light came on. The house is still here and a little bit of nudging in the right direction would be great. A lovely guy one the phone talked me through using the multimeter to find the switched live but despite me telling him I had not used one since school he said 'ah you'll be fine' then talked at 100MPH!

All the neutral's in to a terminal block separately. Multi on AC. red to live and black to an earth.... turn on the power and look for 240, that is the switched live... Well I think that is what he said ;-)

One cable is line and neutral in, another line and neutral out, another line to and line return from the switch and the last line and neutral to the second light. From here we cannot predict which is which and we do not give step by step advice to persons with little or no electrical knowledge, you need the services of an electrician.

Try My Builder for an electrician, people are normally falling over themselves for work on there, you may get a quick reply. Make sure you review all of the feedback traders have.

Just one. I found what I think is the switched live. That light is working the other one is not. I have the blue (with black tape on) to the live, a neutral to the neutral. The house has not burned down yet...

Just one. I found what I think is the switched live. That light is working the other one is not. I have the blue (with black tape on) to the live, a neutral to the neutral. The house has not burned down yet...
Do you have a cunning plan SBaldrick? Advise you speak to that Darling Chappie
Or report sick
'

Last edited:
You really need to identify those 4 cables sticking out the ceiling.
I suspect that they are:
Loop In (feed from Fuse box or previous light on circuit).
Loop Out (feed to next light on circuit in another room).
Switch Feed.
Feed to second light fitting in the room you are working in.

Reply to Advice on replacing fluro batten with LED in garage in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock