Discuss Advice on rewire method in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all, just got a property for myself and looking to rewire it. Have only every rewired houses with old floorboards but this property has the wayrok sheetboards. Anyone got any experience of of the best way to lift without ruining them too much? Thanks in advance

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Paignton pete

-
Arms
Esteemed
IT depends on the condition and if they are nailed or screwed down.

I personally inform customers that due to the type of boarding I cannot guarantee they come up and go back down in any reasonable condition, so they may have to gat them replaced afterwards.

However my method is to use circular saw at set depth to chop out large pieces trying to get the edges over joists.
Never an easy task.

S

Squid

Buy a circular saw.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Generally seem in good condition,will also be running heating pipes throughout. Unfortunately they are nailed down so will have to try and get the chop saw,like you say, over a joist. Just wanted opinions before I start in the next few weeks

T

The Ghost

Cauchemar!

SJD

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Got any plastering to do? If so, consider making holes in the ceilings instead, and either save the bits you cut out to put back, or just re-board any big sections.

Paignton pete

-
Arms
Esteemed
Nailed down. That's bad luck. Even worse if they've glued the boards to the joists also.

I generally find if there nailed there glued.

Paignton pete

-
Arms
Esteemed
I have see these in the wholesalers, not had to use them ny self but they look a handy bit of kit .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline...39&hvtargid=pla-421739994949&psc=1&th=1&psc=1
They are ok, but if you need to drill through joists or have to get to multiple points not so viable.
The caps that you put down after are not cheap.

Edit: just looked at price of caps. Seems they've come down in price since I used them. Maybe they are viable.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
1. why a rewire? house with weetabix floors should not be over 30 years old.
2. cut ceilings every time, non-structural, less chance of cutting into wet-pants spaghetti, and cheaper to repair.

Don't know who built them but wanting to do work now with new bathroom, new kitchen, lay foundation and garage, install bathroom downstairs etc. And putting alarm and cameras in and alterations for spots and the rest of it so by the time I have faffed around altering what is existing I may have refreshed it all while the walls are bare

Some floors are nailed some are glued with polystyrene underneath but want a challenge for once

bill01803

-
Arms
You can get a nail puller to pull the nails out then take up a whole sheet in the middle of the room, should be able to reach everywhere from there

Some floors are nailed some are glued with polystyrene underneath but want a challenge for once
You can get a nail puller to pull the nails out then take up a whole sheet in the middle of the room, should be able to reach everywhere from there
Thanks, will give it a go

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
I have see these in the wholesalers, not had to use them ny self but they look a handy bit of kit .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Silverline...39&hvtargid=pla-421739994949&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

If you are going for one of these don't get the silverline cheapy one. I did and the hole size was not a snug fit for the plug, the rebate being too wide and too deep. I took mine back.

The Armeg sets are spot on but a bit pricey. The newer cutters have a cobalt mix to the cutter for a longer life. Much better fit.
They do two sizes, I went for the larger one to accommodate my fat hands.

If you are going for one of these don't get the silverline cheapy one. I did and the hole size was not a snug fit for the plug, the rebate being too wide and too deep. I took mine back.

The Armeg sets are spot on but a bit pricey. The newer cutters have a cobalt mix to the cutter for a longer life. Much better fit.
They do two sizes, I went for the larger one to accommodate my fat hands.
How much would you say it would cost for a 3 bed property? Never used them, always seemed to priceyin the wholesalers

Last edited:

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
apart from the damage you'll inevitably do to the flooring, you'll find wet-pants has run his spaghetti tight up to the underside of the floor and it could route anywhere. you'll end up with broken, soggy wet chipboard,and the ceilings below will probably need replacing also. only time i've gone in through that type of floor, I've got the customer to cut it, and take all the responsibility. ended up it cost him another £200 to repair the floor.

Probably easier having cavity to run between floors and to run all upstairs wiring from above, only problem will probably downstairs ring

Andy78

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Or work harder, save your money and stay away from Barrat Houses.........
Round here it's the new build lego boxes that are the most pricey
How much would you say it would cost for a 3 bed property? Never used them, always seemed to priceyin the wholesalers
Depends if the joists are open or closed. If open I would consider this as a method, if the joists need drilling I would consider other methods. I use this tool usually for small jobs where only a few holes are required.
I think Tel's method of not rewiring is the best one to be perfectly honest. Asking for a possible nightmare.

Only 4 circuits covering electric oven, shower and lighting and power in whole property. Maybe a a bit of investigation work is needed

Midwest

-
Arms
Esteemed
Another vote for having some of the ceiling down, rather than trying to remove the chipboard (or whatever it is) flooring. The plasterboard will come down easier than trying to get the floor up.

Bet the ceiling is artex anyway. Easier to get your pipework in (plastic as well). Quick patch up, and get the ceiling skimmed. Sometimes this type of flooring is part of the structure of flooring joists, you never get it back the same.

KEV 1 N

-
Arms
Esteemed
Deleted.

KEV 1 N

-
Arms
Esteemed
Ceiling down! Happy days!:)

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network

Reply to Advice on rewire method in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

CK Tools :) The professionals choice when it comes to Electrical Tools
Top Bottom