uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Advice on rewire method in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all, just got a property for myself and looking to rewire it. Have only every rewired houses with old floorboards but this property has the wayrok sheetboards. Anyone got any experience of of the best way to lift without ruining them too much? Thanks in advance

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors

Paignton pete

-
Arms
Esteemed
IT depends on the condition and if they are nailed or screwed down.

I personally inform customers that due to the type of boarding I cannot guarantee they come up and go back down in any reasonable condition, so they may have to gat them replaced afterwards.

However my method is to use circular saw at set depth to chop out large pieces trying to get the edges over joists.
Never an easy task.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Generally seem in good condition,will also be running heating pipes throughout. Unfortunately they are nailed down so will have to try and get the chop saw,like you say, over a joist. Just wanted opinions before I start in the next few weeks

SJD

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Got any plastering to do? If so, consider making holes in the ceilings instead, and either save the bits you cut out to put back, or just re-board any big sections.

Paignton pete

-
Arms
Esteemed
Nailed down. That's bad luck. Even worse if they've glued the boards to the joists also.

I generally find if there nailed there glued.

Paignton pete

-
Arms
Esteemed
They are ok, but if you need to drill through joists or have to get to multiple points not so viable.
The caps that you put down after are not cheap.

Edit: just looked at price of caps. Seems they've come down in price since I used them. Maybe they are viable.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
1. why a rewire? house with weetabix floors should not be over 30 years old.
2. cut ceilings every time, non-structural, less chance of cutting into wet-pants spaghetti, and cheaper to repair.

S

Squid

Or work harder, save your money and stay away from Barrat Houses.........

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't know who built them but wanting to do work now with new bathroom, new kitchen, lay foundation and garage, install bathroom downstairs etc. And putting alarm and cameras in and alterations for spots and the rest of it so by the time I have faffed around altering what is existing I may have refreshed it all while the walls are bare

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

Reply to Advice on rewire method in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico 3000 Range
Top Bottom