Discuss Advice on Shower Repair in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

R

Rich18144

Hi All,

I was hoping you'd be able to advise whether or not this is as simple a repair as it looks to me? I have some electronics experience, but in a thoroughly amateur capacity and nothing on any home appliances beyond re-wiring a plug.

Our shower has made a popping noise, followed by a odd burning plastic smell. I took off the Shower casing and found the scene in the images below:

Advice on Shower Repair 20150605_172504 - EletriciansForums.netAdvice on Shower Repair 20150605_172513 - EletriciansForums.netAdvice on Shower Repair 20150605_172528 - EletriciansForums.net

Looking at it, it would appear that I just need to replace the blue wire that has been damaged? In mind my mind it only requires a replacement Live wire, soldered to the circular black disk and screwed into the electronic point.

Would I need to get electrician in for this? Or is it as simple as I think?

Thank you for your time,

Rich

Attachments

• Advice on Shower Repair 20150605_172528 - EletriciansForums.net
    20150605_172528.jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Advice on Shower Repair 20150605_172513 - EletriciansForums.net
    20150605_172513.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 66
  • Advice on Shower Repair 20150605_172504 - EletriciansForums.net
    20150605_172504.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 64
Firstly I'm hoping you've isolated the supply to the shower at the CU. To be safe switch the entire CU off on the isolator switch.

The wire is damage because the connection onto the safety device (circular thing) was poor. I wouldn't recommend you do this work as an unqualified person because it's not as straight forward as you say and a bathroom is considered a special location electrically because of the far higher chance of death if someone gets a shock. Also the current in these showers is very high so there's no room for error when deciding what size wiring to use etc and the crimped connections need to be well made with the right tool.

The circular safety device that the blue wire was connected to needs to be completely replaced with an approved part for that specific shower supplied by the manufacturer as well as the damaged wiring.

Last edited:
That's not a live wire, it's a neutral!
If you don't know the difference between live and neutral then you really should not be going near mains electrics, and probably get the plugs you have wired checked.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice! I'll steer well clear of sorting this myself (and thanks Davesparks - a mere slip of the tongue/fingers, I promise).

Rich

Hi All,

I was hoping you'd be able to advise whether or not this is as simple a repair as it looks to me? I have some electronics experience, but in a thoroughly amateur capacity and nothing on any home appliances beyond re-wiring a plug.

Our shower has made a popping noise, followed by a odd burning plastic smell. I took off the Shower casing and found the scene in the images below:

View attachment 29289View attachment 29290View attachment 29291

Looking at it, it would appear that I just need to replace the blue wire that has been damaged? In mind my mind it only requires a replacement Live wire, soldered to the circular black disk and screwed into the electronic point.

Would I need to get electrician in for this? Or is it as simple as I think?

Thank you for your time,

Rich

May seem simple mate but with a qualified electrician, you will have peace of mind that the shower has been repaired safely and properly. God forbid you or your kids, wife etc come to harm in this dangerous wet location and you just say IT LOOKED SIMPLE TO FIX OFFICER. Not scare mongering but ask yourself what if it goes wrong? Shouldn't cost more than £100 to fix. Get it done right.

What would help the job along is getting a new thermal cutout (the black disk) and having it ready before the electrician arrives.
I know I would appreciate that if it was me!

Please Don't attempt to do the repair yourself, like previous members have said you need the correct tools and knowledge to do the job right.
Why not post up your Location and see if any of the members are close by and willing to give you a price for the job.

And from the pics (I know it's hard to tell) it looks like the feed could be 2.5mm.

Yeah, I thought the feed looks possibly undersized too.

The feed is definitely undersized, please stop and call for help. Triton my be interested and there number is on the shower. See whst they have to say.

This specific failure would fall fair and square as a warranty claim if the shower isn't too old so check your date of purchase and read the manufacturers warranty before going any further.

That's not a live wire, it's a neutral!
If you don't know the difference between live and neutral then you really should not be going near mains electrics, and probably get the plugs you have wired checked.
Just to be pedantic :troll: line and neutral are both live conductors, however in the context of the original post I do think rich got it wrong. Also I agree with most of the other posts. It's in a spec location, leave it alone.
sorry couldn't resist that one.

So without any indication of the power rating of the shower, or of the size of the incoming cable you have managed to calculate that it is undersized?

So without any indication of the power rating of the shower, or of the size of the incoming cable you have managed to calculate that it is undersized?

It's a triton shower and they don't make one under 7KW. So I would also probably say it looks undersized as it looks like 2.5mm.

That is a 2.5mm feeding the shower! Look at the bare neutral at the incoming terminal, it is solid and in new colours. It is a 2.5mm. This needs to be looked at first, time to get an electrician in I'm afraid.

The internal burning of the Neutral will be due to weak terminations that was not checked by the installer at the time of fitting (I assume???)

Please do not attempt to sort this out yourself, do not use the shower until you get an electrician in. There is more than just the single problem that you have posted up. Switch it off at the MCB/fuse at the C/U aka fuse box (if it has a designated fuse??) and leave it alone until one of us looks at it for your own safety.

btw lads (staff), I've moved this from the general section to the DIY lol. :wink:

Reply to Advice on Shower Repair in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock