Discuss Advice on spur socket from ring main in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
33FCB8A6-ECBA-4A43-A191-46EB253B185E.jpeg
I’m after some clarification please. I have wall mounted the TV and want to install a double socket behind it. I planned on taking a spur from the socket as shown in the photo (bottom right) running the 2.5mm T&E cable in the safe zone to behind the TV. The cable run is 2.4metres and the new spur socket will power the TV and a Sky mini box. The existing socket is not a spur as it has two cables. The more I researched this the more I got confused. Am I permitted to do this within regulations?

Last edited:
Morning mate,Just because it has 2 cables doesn’t mean it’s a rfc it could also be a radial circuit, assuming it is a rfc and you have rcd protection in place then you can spur from there....safe isolation is paramount and if you are not that sure a local spark is not going to change to much for that mate it wouldn’t take long.....has someone changed a double to a single at some point?

Morning mate,Just because it has 2 cables doesn’t mean it’s a rfc it could also be a radial circuit, assuming it is a rfc and you have rcd protection in place then you can spur from there....safe isolation is paramount and if you are not that sure a local spark is not going to change to much for that mate it wouldn’t take long.....has someone changed a double to a single at some point?
We moved into the house 20 yrs ago as a new build. That single socket was the original socket and I think my father in law had spurred from this and put a double right next to it as we had a different room layout. I removed this a few weeks ago when we had a new internal wall put up.

Reply to Advice on spur socket from ring main in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net