Discuss Advice on supply to marina in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

chunkylumber

Hi all, I am civil engineer (not much electrical knowledge!) working on a project to upgrade the customer power points at a marina. The current system is a 3 phase 400V 100A supply that splits at three distribution units, to give power for customers and lighting on 2 different sides of the marina and the other third for a workshop.
My first question is on the recent periodic inspection, the supply characteristics section has the prospective fault current at 1.05kA , earth fault loop impedance 0.15. Does this mean the maximum current that the marina can get from the supply is 1.05KA? i.e. P=VI = 400x1050 = 420KW?
My second question is would we need to upgrade the supply and the protection devices? At the moment the set up for the customer supply is no. 40, 8A outlets for people to hook their boats up to, protected by two 63A 10KA MCBs.
We want to replace these with no. 50, 16A outlets with 2 points on each ‘bollard’. I.e. total demand of 50x2x16 = 1600A (if everyone plugged in at the same time!) The workshop is protected by a 63A 10KA MCB which I guess wouldn’t need to be touched as the demand for this won’t change. Out of interest if it is protected by a 63A 10KVA MCB, how much current and power was this imply it uses? If we know that then we can work out if we have enough left over in the present supply to power the two sides of the marina with the new outlet setup.
Any help much appreciated, cheers

Hi all, I am civil engineer (not much electrical knowledge!) working on a project to upgrade the customer power points at a marina. The current system is a 3 phase 400V 100A supply that splits at three distribution units, to give power for customers and lighting on 2 different sides of the marina and the other third for a workshop.
My first question is on the recent periodic inspection, the supply characteristics section has the prospective fault current at 1.05kA , earth fault loop impedance 0.15. Does this mean the maximum current that the marina can get from the supply is 1.05KA? i.e. P=VI = 400x1050 = 420KW? No this is the Fault current that will be generated at the time of a fault in the installation, and that is 1533amps as it is Ka (1000). It as no bearing on the amount of load that the installation can take. This fault current is taken so that it can ascertain the safety of your protection device to withstand the fault
My second question is would we need to upgrade the supply and the protection devices? At the moment the set up for the customer supply is no. 40, 8A outlets for people to hook their boats up to, protected by two 63A 10KA MCBs.
We want to replace these with no. 50, 16A outlets with 2 points on each ‘bollard’. I.e. total demand of 50x2x16 = 1600A (if everyone plugged in at the same time!) The workshop is protected by a 63A 10KA MCB which I guess wouldn’t need to be touched as the demand for this won’t change. Out of interest if it is protected by a 63A 10KVA MCB, how much current and power was this imply it uses? If we know that then we can work out if we have enough left over in the present supply to power the two sides of the marina with the new outlet setup.
Any help much appreciated, cheers No you would have diversity involved here and to be honest it is impossible to design an installation on a forum, I could not ask you to do that I have this 4 bed house and I want to build another 2 storys on it, can I do it, you would want to see foundations stress etc etc, and as a design engineer I would want to see the installation

As this is a Marina there are also several factors you need to factor into any work that is being done. It is classed in the electrical Regulations as a special location, and as such there are stringent criteria you need to adhere to when designing and installing there

i used to work around marinas/boats etc and you would be lucky to get 50% of boat owners down at anytime let alone drawing full 16A.
when supplying bollards we use to run 3 phase tt to a power distribution point then split the phase to every third bollard with its own RCD and 16A mcb thus spreading the load of the whole marina. The workshop too would then be supplied 3 phase for machinery, lights etc

with all due respect to the OP ( civil engineer ) . i would not attempt the design a motorway bridge because i'm not a civil engineer ( sometimes i'm not even a civil spark ). so as you are not an electrician, then you need an electrician to design your marina electrics.

I feel you would be best advised to employ a design engineer to draw up some proposals for you as, as Malcolm has said, marina's are special locations and require a skilled eye to ensure all is as it should be.

with all due respect to the OP ( civil engineer ) . i would not attempt the design a motorway bridge because i'm not a civil engineer ( sometimes i'm not even a civil spark ). so as you are not an electrician, then you need an electrician to design your marina electrics.

I would go a step further, as this sounds like a half decent sized re-furb project, so you should be employing the services of an Electrical Consulting Engineering practice, to give you a complete installation design package...

I would go a step further, as this sounds like a half decent sized re-furb project, so you should be employing the services of an Electrical Consulting Engineering practice, to give you a complete installation design package...
awww, and i was just about to sell him a job lot of 100 extension leads.

You have think well about using 63A 10KA MCB for protecting the workshop but you need some guidance of Product Design Engineer.The concept of supply selection for Marina/boats is also impressive.Great involvement in this Project!!Cheers Engineer Chunky!!

Reply to Advice on supply to marina in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock