Discuss Advice on testing Ze please....... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Baddegg

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
As per a couple of previous threads am now at first fix stage and am thinking about testing,
Set up is tn-s,main income tails split through Henley into switch fuse isolater and 10mm 3 core sea out to (approx 20mtrs) Cu unit in man cave/pub
Never tested a unit so far from the origin that wasn’t a sub db, questions are is this still considered a sub board? Am I right in thinking I need to take ze at the origin before switch fuse isolator? As to take it at the Cu is not external? And if so what would I record on the sheet for the swa feeding the unit?
Hope that makes sense?
Thanks in advance as always

The CU feed is a final circuit so as above, remove all PP and test at incoming.

I’d also test at the CU and record as a Zdb and note where it was taken from.

Thanks chaps, I’m fine with ze at origin etc just with why the shed Cu becomes a final/distribution circuit as opposed to a normal Cu,is it just because it’s more than 3 mtrs and the isolator has been introduced?

Thanks chaps, I’m fine with ze at origin etc just with why the shed Cu becomes a final/distribution circuit as opposed to a normal Cu,is it just because it’s more than 3 mtrs and the isolator has been introduced?

Any loop reading within the consumers installation will be a Zs, be it at the end of a final circuit or distribution circuit. I'm not sure what you mean by "normal CU" and how any other CU would differentiate with the one in this shed.

Is the CU in question fed from the Switch fuse? If not, surely it needs some protection being >3m.
Where do the other tails go to?

Hi Archie yes unit in question is fed from the switch fuse,the other tails go to the Cu in the house as per original set up

Last edited:
Sorry Andy, I’m starting to confuse meself here,normal Cu being any standard household unit less than 3 mtr tails, where you’d take your ze as per normal, I’ve tested sub db’s before that have been feed through an mcb on the household unit and understand why they are considered final circuits, as this setup (the unit in the man cave) is on its own after the switch isolator it’s caused me to think a bit more about I how I record my readings and where I take them from,

Sorry Andy, I’m starting to confuse meself here,normal Cu being any standard household unit less than 3 mtr tails, where you’d take your ze as per normal, I’ve tested sub db’s before that have been feed through an mcb on the household unit and understand why they are considered final circuits,

Not half as confused as I am.

Back to original post

Never tested a unit so far from the origin that wasn’t a sub db, questions are is this still considered a sub board?

Any circuit that feeds a distribution board is a distribution circuit.

Ze at Origen.
Zdb at Dist Board.
Switch fuse to be treated as its own board on the certificate. Dist board will be the circuit from this switch fuse so R1+R2 IR etc will need to be taken on the sub main.

If that makes sense

Reply to Advice on testing Ze please....... in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock