Discuss Advice on this little number! Power and lighting in same switch? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all!

So this is not something I've ever come across and wanted your opinions.
(Refurbishment project)
So in the garden area there are 2 external wall lights and a water feature in the garden.
Clients wants to be able to switch both items on at the wall by the French doors at normal switch height.
External lights will be fed from the lighting circuit.
Water feature will be fed from a switched fused spur from the ring main.

Now I can put both switches next to each other not a problem, 1x 1g light switch and 1x 1g dp switch for the water feature.

My question is, is it acceptable instead of 2 separate 1g switches to combine them both into a 2g grid switch to make it look more visually appealing.
This will mean there will be 2x circuits in the switch (no different to having 2x lighting circuits at a switch) however 1 will be lighting and 1 will be power.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Hi Chris
I wouldn't like to say on this one. I'm not long out of college and still gaining experience but I'm looking forward to seeing the replies from others on here as it's a good question

No regulation to say you can't. Strikes me as not the most sensible thing to do, but then think of situation in loads of house with 2 way upstairs-downstairs lighting. Often as not one of those boxes (if it's a double switch also for somewhere else - say the landing), contains 2 circuits.
Add a nicely printed label somewhere obvious, and you've pretty much covered yourself.

As long as the switch and conductors are suitably rated, then I can't see a problem.

The only problem I can see is that if it was a three phase installation you may have two different phases resulting in 400V in the switch. Either way a label stating 400V/isolate from two sources would cover everything.

You should be fine as long as you label them up. Doesn’t have to be on the face plate but can on the yoke under the face plate. Otherwise why not use a wyse box and just use the switches to control that? If not you could use click Scolemore 2 gang RF switch to control 2 actuators both rated at 16A if that would help I can look up part numbers as I have just ordered them for a project myself have a 200mtr RF range in open reduces by 30% when going through wall but should easily operate over 50mtrs.

It’s no different to the downstairs light switch in most houses which has the up and down lighting circuits on one switch.
I have yet to see a label mentioning that in any installation.

That is true Taylortwocities but most people would expect to find 2 lighting circuits in a 2 gang switch by the stairs fed off 2 circuits but not by a patio door and not 1 lighting and 1 power.

Reply to Advice on this little number! Power and lighting in same switch? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock