Discuss Advice on what multi meter to purchace in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

Electri-kate

Hi new to this forum. Hope I have posted correctly!! I am looking to go out on my own as a domestic electrician. Just after some advice on what's the best multi meter to get?? Thanks in advance :stooge_curly:

Welcome to the forum Kate. Are you looking for an MFT or a multimeter? What kind of a budget do you have?

Get in touch with forum sponse "test meter" - speak to them and they do have a very neat comparision matrix.

My advice is to buy once and buy wisely - apart from a vehicle this could be you most expensive purchase and needs to be a good one.

If you are tempted to buy 2nd hand, remember to allow for calibration (£60 - £80) as this is required yearly and unlikely to be sold with the unit.

Hope this helps.

Have a gander at the Megger range of smaller multimeters. They are good quality,easy to use,and have the back up of a large outfit. Also,don't forget little extras such as a sturdy case and clip-on crocs etc. Never underestimate the value of a good,hand-held multi,they have earnt me considerably more over the years,than their fancier brothers! Go and spend time researching a decent one,spend time playing with it,and then spend what it will earn you. Good luck.

I really like the look of those, have been thinking about buying one for a while. Would you recommend it?
Yeah, it's spot on. Auto ranging so so simple your nan could use it and the current measuring "u" at the top might not be quite the most accurate but had proved useful quite a few times. You might get the t5-600 cheaper (600v rather than 1000v)

Megger do a DCM330,that has all above functions,but has a built in "Voltfinder" at the tips of the clamp jaws. It is by far,the best voltfinder i have used,and has standard plug in 4mm leads,so extras like crocodile clips etc are easily fitted. The only down side is you cannot hang it round your neck by the leads (as so many seem keen to do,maybe it's fashion?) as they are push-ins.That said,there is nowt wrong with the T-5 range,good kit.

£5 says that she is actually after an MFT, and not a multi-meter. Daz

And anyway,what on earth is she doing out of the kitchen? .................................:bow: (Second worst 70's joke ever done..)

My own lovely life partner has had a Blackberry (device NOT fruit) for a year and can't drive it,but the other day she got me good....i left some test gear out in the lounge,after a sad nights playing about,and she told me she had "tidied up" coz we had pals over from Newzealand,so i was concerned as to their condition,and asked what she had done..."i put three away" i asked which,"Two that looked like crap mobiles,and one that looked like a radio from the war..." mmmm 2x multimeters and 1x 1720...marvellous :bow:

Reply to Advice on what multi meter to purchace in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net