Discuss Advice on wiring 4 gang switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Richey

DIY
Reaction score
Hi, looking to change my 4 gang switch, what I have is 4 grey wires, each with a red and black wire, I've been told by local sparky that each red wire goes into COM, and each black wire(with small red sleeve If that's relevant) goes into L1. However at the moment only the 1st and 3rd switches are wired like this the 2nd and 4th have red wire in L1 and black wires in COM. All switches work the correct way as it stands, I am aware I have to add earth to New metal plate. Another local sparky suggests just copying as it is now, or are both methods correct. Any advice appreciated, I've changed lots of other switches and sockets but don't want to risk anything on my last one.

Assuming you are not replacing with a smart switch it sounds straight forward. Any chance of some clear pics.

Not sure how to do pics, just putting New brass 4 gang switch on, like I said local sparky says all red into COM, all black into L1 and if any switches work upside move relevant black wires to L2?

Do you mean 4 grey cables, one cable to each of 4 one-way switches, each with a red and red-sleeved black core? If so, provided there are no other cables or links between one switch and another, they are four identical switch-drops comprising a permanent line to the switch (red) and a switched line back to the light (red-sleeved black). All the switch does is make or break the connection between the two cores, so as far as the electricity is concerned it does not matter which way round they are connected to the switch terminals. Like the spark you spoke to, as a matter of uniformity I would put them all the same way round.

Different brands of switch differ on which of L1 and L2 completes a circuit when the switch is in the down position. Since your four switches are doing the same job, if one works wrong-way-up they all will. Some people would simply turn the switch plate up the other way, others would move the cables to the other terminal. That probably says something deep about their personalities but I'm no psychologist.

Do you mean 4 grey cables, one cable to each of 4 one-way switches, each with a red and red-sleeved black core? If so, provided there are no other cables or links between one switch and another, they are four identical switch-drops comprising a permanent line to the switch (red) and a switched line back to the light (red-sleeved black). All the switch does is make or break the connection between the two cores, so as far as the electricity is concerned it does not matter which way round they are connected to the switch terminals. Like the spark you spoke to, as a matter of uniformity I would put them all the same way round.

Different brands of switch differ on which of L1 and L2 completes a circuit when the switch is in the down position. Since your four switches are doing the same job, if one works wrong-way-up they all will. Some people would simply turn the switch plate up the other way, others would move the cables to the other terminal. That probably says something deep about their personalities but I'm no psychologist.
Classic example of when I get a phone call to ask to sort out the lights because DIY Dave has tried to change 3, 4 Gang switch. Dave presses one switch and the toilet flushes ?

All you have is a live in (com) and switched live out (L1)

Not sure how to do pics, just putting New brass 4 gang switch on, like I said local sparky says all red into COM, all black into L1 and if any switches work upside move relevant black wires to L2?
The advice above seems correct if you don't know how to post up a photo maybe tell us what make and part number. But by the sound of it you have com, L1 and L2, therefore, red in com black with a red sleeve in L1 and a green/yellow earth flylead to the metal switch.

Reply to Advice on wiring 4 gang switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock