Discuss Advice on wiring into an existing single light, 2 switch circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ryan138

DIY
Reaction score
Good evening guys,
New to this forum but seeking some advice if possible. I am in the process on installing downlight in my bedroom as the single light is just not enough to cover the room, and am hoping to daisy chain them together. My current set up is a single light fitting with 2 switches on either side of the room. The power supply is through the light rather than into one of the two switches to begin. ( I believe this has been done as its a top floor grade II building and the wiring is though the attic rather than through conduit/wall cavities).

How do I continue the power supply into the new lights that im hoping to install?

Any help would be great

Thanks
[automerge]1572379096[/automerge]

That sounds right, power goes to the pendant on the ceiling before it goes through the switch.

You’ll need to take a feed off the switched live and neutral at the pendant, and take it to your new light if you want it off the same switch.
[automerge]1572382440[/automerge]
That sounds right, power goes to the pendant on the ceiling before it goes through the switch.

You’ll need to take a feed off the switched live and neutral at the pendant, and take it to your new light if you want it off the same switch.
0E33B727-96BD-4EB4-BCF4-DB2867A38DC5.jpeg

[automerge]1572382440[/automerge]

View attachment 53466

Thanks, the other option is can I use the power supply to the current light, cut it and work backwards towards the new lights, if that makes sense

Thanks, the other option is can I use the power supply to the current light, cut it and work backwards towards the new lights, if that makes sense

I don’t quite understand what you mean.

Are you keeping your old light so you can still use it? Are the new lights being operated from a different switch?

I don’t quite understand what you mean.

Are you keeping your old light so you can still use it? Are the new lights being operated from a different switch?

Hi,

Swapping the old light for the new style that I'll install, but would like to keep the wiring as it is to keep things as simple as possible.

No the new lights I want connected to the same 2 switches, basically just need to add more into the current set up.

You must leave the existing cables as they are for it to function properly.
Just take your new light from the sw and n of the old one.
Both lights will work at the same time.

Please take care and isolate at your fuse box. The bunch of reds all together (or brown, depending on age of installation) will always be live whether the room switch is on or off

Reply to Advice on wiring into an existing single light, 2 switch circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net