Discuss Advice on work I've had done in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently had some outside lights fitted, there is about 10 of them, all LED. The electricans took the cable from the fuse board down into my basement void where other services are running and then out to the garden. Outside they have used armoured cable, 1.5mm, about 20-30meters in total I'd have thought. But in the basement void, it's about another 20m from the fuseboard end to the outside but they have used a 0.75mm 3 core white flex cable.

The circuit breaker is 6 amps.

I don't know whether that is good or bad but to me something isn't quite sitting right having a cable half the size of the armoured cable, it looks like they've used a cable very similar to the flex hanging down on my pendants for 20m.

Should I be concerned or is it ok? Since I have had the work done I've been hearing bad things about the company I used so I was hoping someone on here could give me some advice.

Thank you.

Have you paid in full for this work?
Did you receive and paperwork (electrical certs) for this work?
What wattage lights are fitted?

Oh... I keep forgetting....
Welcome to the forum mate.

Hello,

I've recently had some outside lights fitted, there is about 10 of them, all LED. The electricans took the cable from the fuse board down into my basement void where other services are running and then out to the garden. Outside they have used armoured cable, 1.5mm, about 20-30meters in total I'd have thought. But in the basement void, it's about another 20m from the fuseboard end to the outside but they have used a 0.75mm 3 core white flex cable.

I don't know whether that is good or bad but to me something isn't quite sitting right having a cable half the size of the armoured cable, it looks like they've used a cable very similar to the flex hanging down on my pendants for 20m.

Should I be concerned or is it ok? Since I have had the work done I've been hearing bad things about the company I used so I was hoping someone on here could give me some advice.

Thank you.
Welcome

Have you paid in full for this work?
Did you receive and paperwork (electrical certs) for this work?
What wattage lights are fitted?

Oh... I keep forgetting....
Welcome to the forum mate.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I have paid for the work but I was never given any paperwork from them.

The lights I think are 3.5 watt.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I have paid for the work but I was never given any paperwork from them.

The lights I think are 3.5 watt.

So you have about 35W in total. About 0.2A
1.5mm SWA cable is the smallest size you can get.
0.75mm 3 core white flex is rated for 6A.
Only think that might be an issue is volt drop but at less than 0.2A load then there shouldn't be a problem.

If this circuit for the 10 LED lights a new circuit? (is the 6A breaker new) or is it an existing breaker for the lights?

Have you raised your concerns with the person(s) that did the work?

I have tried to contact them but he wont pick up his phone or reply to my email.

So you have about 35W in total. About 0.2A
1.5mm SWA cable is the smallest size you can get.
0.75mm 3 core white flex is rated for 6A.
Only think that might be an issue is volt drop but at less than 0.2A load then there shouldn't be a problem.

If this circuit for the 10 LED lights a new circuit? (is the 6A breaker new) or is it an existing breaker for the lights?

Yes it's a new circuit, the house was re-wired maybe about 10 years ago and the fuse board had about 3 spare gaps in it with some plastic covers where the circuit breakers would be so I assume it's a new 6A one.

One of the reasons I was concerned, other than the fact it was half the size of armoured cable is because from what I have seen online it's not good practice to wire in a flex cable or that it should be fused down to 3A? I found it a confusing to be honest so I've probably got it completely wrong...

Also, as @peterhyper
I have tried to contact them but he wont pick up his phone or reply to my email.

Yes it's a new circuit, the house was re-wired maybe about 10 years ago and the fuse board had about 3 spare gaps in it with some plastic covers where the circuit breakers would be so I assume it's a new 6A one.

One of the reasons I was concerned, other than the fact it was half the size of armoured cable is because from what I have seen online it's not good practice to wire in a flex cable or that it should be fused down to 3A? I found it a confusing to be honest so I've probably got it completely wrong...

Ok, so it's a new circuit. Depending on where you are in the UK, this falls under Part P and the work needs to be notified to your Local Building Control Body.
Yes flex is not ideal for this circuit, but it's not 'unsafe'. 99% of electricians would not have used flex.
With a new circuit you should have received an Electrical Installation Certificate.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thank you.
Where are you situated, could come and give you an opinion if it's not to far from Northampton

Also, as @peterhyper

Ok, so it's a new circuit. Depending on where you are in the UK, this falls under Part P and the work needs to be notified to your Local Building Control Body.
Yes flex is not ideal for this circuit, but it's not 'unsafe'. 99% of electricians would not have used flex.
With a new circuit you should have received an Electrical Installation Certificate.

Oh okay, they never mentioned any kind of certification to me so didn't know that, I will send them another email asking for this.
I'm glad it's not technically unsafe and that does give me peace of mind a bit. Would you recommend having it fused down to 3A?

Where are you situated, could come and give you an opinion if it's not to far from Northampton

I'm in Portsmouth unfortunately but I appreciate the offer.

0.75mm flex is good up to 6A (BS7671 table 4F3A), no need to fuse down to 3A.

0.75 is inadequate for the purpose of fixed wiring minimum size for lighting is 1.0mm. If they have used this for the supply from the consumer unit this is incorrect and it needs replacing.
I disagree. Table 52.3.

(I wouldn't do the install like this, I should stress. And the flex needs proper termination with bootlace ferrules. But there's nothing in the Regs that says you can't do it this way.)

I disagree. Table 52.3.

(I wouldn't do the install like this, I should stress. And the flex needs proper termination with bootlace ferrules. But there's nothing in the Regs that says you can't do it this way.)
I disagree Steve table 52.3 stipulates 1mm2 minimum for lighting circuits, which in the case we are discussing 0.75mm3 flex has been utilised for that porpose

I disagree. Table 52.3.

Yes Table 52.3, 1.0mm for lighting circuits. Whilst some allowance is allowed for final connections if the 0.75mm is direct into the consumer unit it is undersized.

Yes Table 52.3, 1.0mm for lighting circuits. Whilst some allowance is allowed for final connections if the 0.75mm is direct into the consumer unit it is undersized.
You have to read the table left to right.

The first column is "type of wiring system" and the first row is "non-sheathed and sheathed cables." If you're using this type of cable, then I agree minimum size is 1mm for lighting, 1.5mm for power (assuming copper).
The second row is "bare conductors" - not relevant here.
The third row is "non-sheathed and sheathed flexible cables." This is a different row from the first row, and there are different requirements. Under "use of the circuit" (2nd column) you've got "for a specific appliance" (not relevant here), and "for any other application", which is. 0.75mm.

So rather than reading it as, "lighting says 1mm, so 1mm", you start off by asking which type of cable, then what the application is, then the minimum size.

So the flex cable needs to be replaced for 1mm cable?
Don't understand any of the recent posts, trying too!

Reply to Advice on work I've had done in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock