Discuss Advice on working for yourself in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Antonio

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on starting up on my own. Can you register with part P bodies even though you have not started trading yet?

Hi
You need 2 jobs for Part P, these jobs must be complete new circuits eg back to the consumer unit. Do your research who you want to register with and ask them, I'm with NAPIT

Good Luck

Google Business Link and take one of there free courses on starting a business covers everything from tax to marketing and will set you on the right path.

Good luck

Chris

T&Earth said:
Hi
You need 2 jobs for Part P, these jobs must be complete new circuits eg back to the consumer unit. Do your research who you want to register with and ask them, I'm with NAPIT

Good Luck

It's usually 2 jobs, one major (new circuit) and one minor works. (addition/alteration)

They want to see you can fill out both forms correctly, correctly tested.

I downloaded the model forms and filled them in and that was fine.

Yes you can, as said above you will need to be assessed, niceic will want to see a major and minor job, napit and elecsa only want to see a mojor job. Barclays offer a range of services when you open an account , with bookeepinhg software packages, courses and lots more

What would you reccomend as the best starting point on a "major" - doing the job and getting the BCO in to inspect, then have it as a job for registration, or do a job for an existing registered electrician and have them check it, sign it off and put it through their registered body, but also have it available for your assesment?
How does it work in that respect?

Thanks in advance guys...

you could do a CU change, pass your assessment, then inform LABC once you are a member of napit or elecsa.

Thanks for the quick info Telectrix!
How long do you think it would take Napit or Elecsa to come out and assess (am worried about having an uncertified CU in action - although it could be in my own home maybe?)

How long do you think it would take Napit or Elecsa to come out and assess (am worried about having an uncertified CU in action - although it could be in my own home maybe?)

Hi just as a bit of advice with NICEIC I too was confused about the whole providing certificates for my work assessment, I phoned the NICEIC and they said with words to the effect of "photocopy the test sheets out of the regs, as long as the assessor has something to compare to your test results on the day then thats what they want" dont worry about it not being notified with BC thats not the purpose of the assessment its purely for reference purposes.

Do you have to be trading for a certain period of time or just have two jobs to show? I will have to go with NICEIC as the others dont hold any water over here in Northern ireland at all.

I read somewhere they expect you to have been trading 12 months previous to the enrolement which does indicate to me the encouragement of working without a license.

Here its just the 2 jobs on first assessment ! 1 major 1 minor for domestics only ! approved contractor you need more jobs to show ! but there it might be different might be worth checking with them first !

Reply to Advice on working for yourself in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net