Discuss Advice please- changing from overhead lines to installer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Due to a change in my circumstances I want to requalify as a domestic installer and don’t know if it’s worth paying to do a crammer course (installation and test, part p and 18th edition) in a hope to get a electricians mate or trainee electrician job so I can learn the ropes and get properly qualified. Does anyone have any advice/experience of taking this route?
[automerge]1567338399[/automerge]
Due to a change in my circumstances I want to requalify as a domestic installer and don’t know if it’s worth paying to do a crammer course (installation and test, part p and 18th edition) in a hope to get a electricians mate or trainee electrician job so I can learn the ropes and get properly qualified. Does anyone have any advice/experience of taking this route?
I should have added I have also completed C&G level 2 in 2330 and 2339

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum mate.
There are quite a few threads on here about this, as many other people have changed careers.
It looks like the short courses give you the bare minimum of knowledge to get you started.
Are they wort it?? Read some of the posts.
There are also quite a few people trying to become an electricians mate after taking one of these courses.
Do you have a position already set up? If so then that will be a big bonus.
What was your previous job?

Welcome to the forum mate.
There are quite a few threads on here about this, as many other people have changed careers.
It looks like the short courses give you the bare minimum of knowledge to get you started.
Are they wort it?? Read some of the posts.
There are also quite a few people trying to become an electricians mate after taking one of these courses.
Do you have a position already set up? If so then that will be a big bonus.
What was your previous job?
Sadly no job set up as yet, so applying all over the place. I was a qualified craftsman overhead lines and did planning work too. I did this for 6 years incl full apprenticeship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly no job set up as yet, so applying all over the place. I was a qualified craftsman overhead lines and did planning work too. I did this for 6 years incl full apprenticeship.

As before mate, have a search on here about the short course route.
Also this forum is great for learning stuff about the domestic side. There are lots of intelligent guys on here who know their stuff.

Last edited:
As before mate, have a search on here about the short course route.
Also this forum is great for learning stuff about the domestic side. There are lots of intelligent guys on here who know their stuff.

and then there's you and me. :D:D:D.

I'm great at eating cheesecake, but that's of no use to the OP....

And me, don't leave me out Tel, how dare you, just catching up on things, don't worry Senility hasn't set in, just yet. ? ? ? :eek::triumph::triumph::smirkcat:

And me, don't leave me out Tel, how dare you, just catching up on things, don't worry Senility hasn't set in, just yet. ? ? ? :eek::triumph::triumph::smirkcat:
you sure about that. can you remember what you drank for breakfast? I can.

Reply to Advice please- changing from overhead lines to installer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock