Discuss Advice please. Slate roof installation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

morpheus75

Looking at installing pv on my parents house a slate roof. Whats best way please? Seen a couple of youtube vids. One video using hanger bolts which spread to form water tight seals or other which meant cutting slate and then use lead flashing? All help appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just done one:) next door had hanger bolts:) bound to crack / leak over time! u got to (if u dont want to hear that phone ring in 1yrs time! LEAD it! if u go back a bit on here there is a thread about this with photos!! and diff ways!! U CHOOSE!! my view get nail removal tool take out slate lead it cut slate(if u still got it) fit back !! ps lead just cost me £100 a roll OUCH!!!!!!!!!!! but it wont leak:))))))))))

a huge company ive worked for doing the 230v side of thigs uses flat hangers with a rubber backing and screw stright into the tile onto the rafter, im doing one this way next week, and leading it is a must.

Im in leeds west yorks. Thanks for info. I will search for that thread. The search function is hard using tapatalk but when on pc will do. Cheers guys

Check out this .

Hallclip - no more lead wedges for flashing

(i'm not affiliated in anyway - he's a roofer who has got a neat solution).

Cutting the slate and lead flashing is good as well. This is what we used to do. Only problem is getting that slate secured above the bracket again. but is definitely a good solution.

but Hanger Bolts... on a slate roof... bloody hell.. never... would be carnage.

Those flat brackets have to go under the slate not on top. you won;t beak the top slate but the ones under will break cause you've got the void between the slate and the rafter where the batten sits. you can slow the drill right down, but any movement (wind for example) and the slates below will be gone. Meaning any rubber disk will be doing nothing, and teh bracket will move towards the roof.

Get a proper roofer to do the job. Otherwise you can kiss goodbye to the ROI.

Last edited:
If you look at hanger bolts they are for commercial use into thick purlin's only and should not be used on domestic roofs as you penetrate both membranes of the roof and most rafters can not take an M10 bolt as this is really to thick.
Plus if you do not get the bolt straight into the rafter the chances are you will split it or come out of the side of it.

Slate is an issue for sure but with experience it can be done but does take time and a bit more money as code 3 lead is required. Use the slate rip and take 2 slates about the one you need your bracket, now I would use a small 4inch battery grinder to notch out the slate and save buying the proper slate cutters but is also faster but make sure you wear a mask as you don't need your lungs full of silica dust.
You may need packers to bring the bracket to hight as you don't want to put to much pressure on the slate but need to fix the bracket in tight so use TWO fixings per bracket.
Then just lead flash with lead and cut a small part of the slate to get it sitting flush again but don't worry as your lead will cover it. All you need to do is re fix the slates and you are away but what to use for re-fixing the slates?
Slate hooks or lead ties I know some people who use ADHESIVE MASTIC and they tell me it works???

That is how I do it and some may disagree but every one has there own methods.

Bang on. Check out the hall clip for how to stop that slate from slipping. Also when you replace it make sure you get slate back onto the top batten (use the slate guide - cost me fiver).. really simple and makes life so much easier..

None of these solutions are perfect, but then when the roofer 50 years ago was putting it up he wasn;t thinking about retro fitting solar panels!!

I was thinking about that M10 bolt going blind into the 2 by 4's and was grimacing... yikes... Not only is your slate no longer water proof but your rafters are probably knackered.

I have those clips and they are good but don't stand on the slate after as they stretch and the slate slips under your foot but yes they are good clips and very hard to spot even when looking at a roof on the same leval.

just done our first today... yes to lead and no to hanger bolts but make sure you build in double roofer time as it's a fiddly slow process. And lead at £100 a roll (we needed two rolls, ouch).

You have no choice if it's friends or family but I'd steer clear otherwise.

lol yes the hanger bolt job was on a very old slate roof(doubt if it had any felt under let alone wassssing them in!!i had to explain to my client Y i wudnt do it like that! i give it 2 yrs or a good load of snow:)

Thanks for all responses. Checked thread aswell so got a pretty good idea what to expect and how to do. Cheers all

For £100 what size is the roll mate?
Just asking as we have had 24 anchors leaded in(lead above and below anchors), and the roofers reckon they have used 6 rolls of lead. I'm trying to figure out what that will cost as I have a feeling they might take the ****.

Last edited by a moderator:
£96 with vat ? perhaps ive been had! oh well at least that jobs a done and dusted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

t
Check out this .

Hallclip - no more lead wedges for flashing

(i'm not affiliated in anyway - he's a roofer who has got a neat solution).

Cutting the slate and lead flashing is good as well. This is what we used to do. Only problem is getting that slate secured above the bracket again. but is definitely a good solution.

but Hanger Bolts... on a slate roof... bloody hell.. never... would be carnage.

Those flat brackets have to go under the slate not on top. you won;t beak the top slate but the ones under will break cause you've got the void between the slate and the rafter where the batten sits. you can slow the drill right down, but any movement (wind for example) and the slates below will be gone. Meaning any rubber disk will be doing nothing, and teh bracket will move towards the roof.

Get a proper roofer to do the job. Otherwise you can kiss goodbye to the ROI.

i meet him at the solar PV expo at brummy, his stand was the one with the most interest and he worked out of 1.5mx2m area in the huge hall and could have sold that product a million times over. You could see the installers getting solar p*rn at the though of using them
yep i bought some they're getting delivered next week thank god!

Advice please. Slate roof installation photo.JPG - EletriciansForums.net we lead slates like this!

Reply to Advice please. Slate roof installation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock