Discuss Advice re renewal of SJIB grading card obtained '06 in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

pearsgb

Hi folks i was wondering if someone would be able to clarify the steps i need to take to renew my grading card that was obtained in November '06 with CSCS.

Basically i went travelling and the last thing on my mind was sparking so my grading card has expired along with my CSCS. It is time to swell the coffers again so i need to renew my card and resit my CSCS. My question is regarding the whole 16th/17th edition thing, can i simply reapply for my 16th Edition(after i have sat CSCS) and work until i feel i have regained the experience to sit updated 17th? My plan was to seek a mate/improver role until i felt ready as i understand a 16th edition spark has limited appeal.

Thanks

Though never been Scottish based but I would imagine the SJIB and the JIB run along similar lines concerning somethings.

The JIB will do the ECS card but not the CSCS card and in order for you to sit the ECS exam you will have to have the 17th edition. In fact you have to have proof of the exam ie take the certificate with you so they can see it, and I imagine the SJIB are exactly the same.

If your going as mate then possibly yes you may get taken on somewhere with just the 16th, but if you go for a job and in today's climate you maybe going against quite a few candidates for the job, if the majority of them have the 17th, then I'm afraid you won't even get looked at, unless you are in the know with the company.

My advise get your 17th first if you can, if your signing onto JSA then they will pay you to take it, if you prove that the 17th will get you a job, which it will in the industry

you will need to do the 17th edition up date just book the test, and just tag up you regs book for key areas

just ring up jib or visit there site, coz they will send you paper work and you can ask which bits you need to fill in and book the h&s test

but its all on if you are a mate or electrician

mate just go cscs card route
electrician go jib route

Thanks for the replies folks.

I have spoken to SJIB, my card expired in '09 so i need to do ECS/CSCS and 17th Edition should i want to work as a spark i cant just renew my 16th after health and safety course cause my card expired so long ago. Silly question here but i see most sites asking for CSCS, im assuming they would take on someone with ecs all the same?

As far as i am aware you dont need the 17th to sit the ECS exam.... or at least I didnt, I did it the other way round. Sat the ECS exam about 2 months before I did my 17th.

You'll need the 17th to be graded as electrician tho,

Reply to Advice re renewal of SJIB grading card obtained '06 in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net