Discuss Advice Required - Currently Industrial Elec Eng in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to these forums, but I thought I'd ask for help since I'm unclear on what I need to do.

I'm qualified with a HNC electrical Engineering and an NVQ level 3 in the same. I also have done a 17th edition course.

I was wondering what other courses/qualifications I would need to gain to switch to a Domestic installer.

I get asked a lot to carry out work in friends and families houses, (which I'm more than capable of doing) but I always decline due to the tighter regulations,

So my question is what else do I need to obtain to become above board?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

TBH if you can show competency it's possible to became a Domestic Installer with NICEIC,STROMA........etc having 17th edition

Getting c an g 2392 and 2393 will help also

Oh and don't forget £££££

although the regs. are the same, methods differ with domestic. also a few other skills are required-- chasing, burying cables, safe zones, rooting under floors, crawling in hot attics full of ithchy-poo. after all, Mrs. Jones don't want steel trunking, conduit, SWA, and tray bolted to her new kitchen walls.

although the regs. are the same, methods differ with domestic. also a few other skills are required-- chasing, burying cables, safe zones, rooting under floors, crawling in hot attics full of ithchy-poo. after all, Mrs. Jones don't want steel trunking, conduit, SWA, and tray bolted to her new kitchen walls.

Agree completely, but these skills won't be taught as a qualification.

Mrs jones will like some galv I'm sure!

I've experienced doing most domestic electrical work, rewiring offices and such, my main concern was the regulations and the inspection and testing side.

For example if I was to add a few new sockets at work to a ring I'd just do it, test it, rewrite test results and be on my way, however if I was to do that in a friends house I wouldn't really know where I'd stand from a legal stand point.

Edit: ie part p and such I'm not sure how that works at all

Hi - Part P of the Building Regulations drives Electricians to join a Competent Persons Scheme. Being a member of one means you have been assessed and are judged sufficiently competent to self certify. Your CPS will notify the relevant local building control, if required. Without CPS membership the local building approval must be sought directly, and they charge a couple of hundred £ for their time.

Isn't this the exact scenario the 3 week part P course was designed for before it got abused or have I misunderstood.

Thanks for the vote of confidence wilko, I'm thinking I may need a 1day part p course as I'm really inexperienced with it, as for inspection and testing as well as errection etc I've got experience with that, I've been working to 17th edition for a long time, are their any recommended course suppliers for the NW I should consider?

My thought would be to buy the IET booklet "Electrican's Guide to the Building Regulations" and have a read of it. If you do a course it's £150 - £250 per day on av and they take you through the booklet. :rolleyes:

I'm crazy also. HND Electrical Engineering and could never get a decent job with it unless I moved south of the divide .

You shouldn't need to do a course, but to self certify your work you will need to register with a part P scheme.
What you do need to do is get yourself insured to do the work, and if you are taking money for the work then HMRC will need to know about it.

Mrs jones will like some galv I'm sure!

I've experienced doing most domestic electrical work, rewiring offices and such, my main concern was the regulations and the inspection and testing side.

For example if I was to add a few new sockets at work to a ring I'd just do it, test it, rewrite test results and be on my way, however if I was to do that in a friends house I wouldn't really know where I'd stand from a legal stand point.

Edit: ie part p and such I'm not sure how that works at all

This will giveyou the gist of it . This is the 2013 version.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...achment_data/file/441872/BR_PDF_AD_P_2013.pdf

Good luck , but stay with the industrial if you can , the domestic is overcrowded with
chancers - spilling over to commercial too.

Reply to Advice Required - Currently Industrial Elec Eng in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net