Discuss Advice required for 'too old' trainee electrician. (I'm 29!!) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

blinkin heck old chap, thats some big money for a terraced house aint it!!:eek:

still, a mans got to do what a mans got to do

best of luck mate!!!

Could be worse, u could live in jersey and have to fork out £1200 a month for a small 2 bed flat! The joys of living on an island

Hi, this won't help but at 51 I don't even get an interview.

I retrained, doing the 2330 L2 and L3 got good results but I have not received one reply from employers. I expected this though and so decided to go self employed. Not much work but covering my costs with freelance work with previous employer and a bit of PAT.

I would like to try renewables, seems nice to sell something to someone who would eventually get their money back.

Anyway enough of my problems good luck with your search and I sure alot of those lads at college behave differently at work.

i would definitely look at the self employed route. start off with an ad in your local newsagent/corner shop. 50p a week, then perhaps local paper. approach friends and relatives for work, start small and build up.

Yep, Ive been there myself, FE colleges advertise electrical courses to 'older' students on the basis that you can change career. unfortunately they dont tell you you need an apprenticeship first, for the 'older' types its a no go as when youve got a mortgage and kids etc you cant work for peanuts and if you aint got a placement you cant go to FE college, its a vicious circle.
I went down the private training route in the end after taking redundancy and its an uphill struggle as ive now got a load of quals but no experience. keep looking for work but @ the same time try to get some of your own,you may find the self employed route will work.

I went down the private training route in the end after taking redundancy and its an uphill struggle as ive now got a load of quals but no experience. keep looking for work but @ the same time try to get some of your own,you may find the self employed route will work.

Out of interest SDELEC, what quals did you leave your training with? Where did you go from there in terms of doing your own thing?

Antix,
17th edition , vrq domestic installer and c&g 2392. Ive been doing property maintenance ( self employed) for 3 years but always wanted to do the electrical side more as my background is electricity board/ telecoms.
I have quite a big customer base and most of my work is local which is good. I am starting to advertise the electrical services but probably need to push it a bit more as I have only had a few calls and one job for electrical work.The local directory i have been advertising in for the last 3 years has become very popular and is now full of sparks so theres not a lot of work to go round !. The other work i do is ticking over but has gone quiet. last year i was 3months in advance with work now its only 2 weeks!.

It can get worse, try too old(34) and female. After numerous letters and cv's to companies no luck for me either.
Currently doing 2330 l3.... If i dont find employment as a trainee sometime this year then i guess i'll try self employment once i have my level 3, hopefully that will bring in a bit of cash to finance an HNC.

There is a female electrician working the Norfolk area, can't remember her company name but I assumes she makes a living so don't give up. Also afriend of mine uses a female electrician for jobs going to single females or older folk who like a female electrician so there could be benefits if you get up and running

I do a little bit of freelancing in my previous proffession when I can which helps, I shall though see this through and work for myself.

am 24 at the min and I am looking to do a private course with ET4U because of house bills and a child on the way, I am looking for work now as i think not better time to start looking so fingers cross for abit of work experiance. its good to keep old threads going tho as it keeps people talking on how they got there start.....

Anyone know any good websites to look at. I live in the East London area, am 26 and half way through the first year - level 2, 2330.

Hoping to get into working in the field ASAP otherwise I'll pass and have no real experience

I think the majority of this forum have been in your shoes, maybe not age wise but definitely job wise, I think volunteer work will set you out from the rest, that's how I got my apprenticeship 4 years ago and got taken on a week in, even if its working for nothing on the weekends, no amount of money will pay for the experience you will gain, get your ECS card and get down the sites, might be **** money but it will get your foot in the door.

Reply to Advice required for 'too old' trainee electrician. (I'm 29!!) in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock