Discuss Advice required on behalf of elderley mother in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Archangel

DIY
Reaction score
My elderley dad recently passed away leaving my elderley mother to update the house theyve shared for decades in the Birmingham area. She thought she was doing the right thing by speaking to a long retired electrician if he knew of anyone who could install a few new plugs she needed for a new fireplace, and to look at the wiring in general which was very old and needed updating badly. The retired electrician said he knew a few guys who he thought were ok and they visited my mother.
The guys have ended up fitting a new CU fuse box to the electrical meter, changed various bits of wiring to various rooms by fitting double sockets to the surface of internal walls, leaving electrical wiring trailing down the walls unsheaved (bottom floor), but with plastic conduit over in upstairs rooms. Its been done very untidily and messily, and with no regard to looking nice or hidden as you would in a house.
To rub salt into the wounds theyre not forthcoming with a receipt for 732.00 work or a certificate (I presume Part P?) which guarantees their work? They said they will arrange the certificate if mom pays them a further 100.00 so they can arrange someone to do this?
I dont know much about electrical work, but all i can get our mom to find out now is that they may not be registered electricians but friends of friends who have done cash in hand work. DO WE HAVE ANY RIGHT TO DEMAND A FREE PART P CERTIFICATE ETC?

Those pictures are not a great indicator of someone taking pride in there work, in regards to certification by any chance did you/your mum get any form of written quotation or check there credentials?

although that min trunking is a bit rough, it could just be that the guys did not want to cause redecoration due to chasing out and an elderly lady. 2 sides to every story.

I agree min trunking is not uncommon when adding additional sockets in domestic, especially running down door frames or in corners, but they could of spent a bit of time finishing it off, unfortunately this sounds like a mate of a mate from the pub
[automerge]1570480376[/automerge]
Agree with dusty above, if safe to do so and comfortable doing it,some pics of the DB would be good.

Agree with tel. Sometimes surface trunking is the only option open.

However, it does sound a little dodgy. It may be a lesson learned there about who you get to do work in the house in the future

There should be an EIC (electrical installation certificate) and the work is notifiable to Building Control. With regards to the aesthetics, was the original quote to supply surface mounted trunking, or to conceal (chase in) cables, mindful that wallpaper etc. would be ruined and areas woudl require making good.

although that min trunking is a bit rough, it could just be that the guys did not want to cause redecoration due to chasing out and an elderly lady. 2 sides to every story.
Agreed.....but that '£100 extra for getting someone to certificate' really sets the bells ringing for me.
It'll be interesting to see the replacement CU.
…...I detest those who take advantage of, or fleece, the elderly.....lowest of the low.

How was the work payed for, please don’t say cash
Cash in hand!!
[automerge]1570509694[/automerge]
I agree and am grateful for everyone's comments above.Mom didn't realise what she was doing, didn't get a written quote and paid cash in hand. The certificate should be given by them free of charge whether or not they are registered. Am I right in saying this? What should we do now? Speak to building control or employ a certified electrician to check the work at more cost and provide certification? Appreciate your views guys.

Last edited:
I doubt building control will show any interest. As said it’s not the greatest, but not lashed in, so doubt trading standard would be either. Think wisely; LBC could offer to have your new CU tested, a Regularisation Certificate, my LBC charges £400 + vat for that process.

The BS wiring regs, gives guidance that electrical certification should be provided on completion of works. Ask for that first. As said pics of your CU, might be a gauge. £100 extra for testing & compliance certificate, seems a bit naughty, but might be a way out of this dilemma, dependant on the ‘tester’ neutrality.

Pics first.

Do you know the names of the guys/company that carried out the work? Sounds very dodgy when they say they can arrange a certificate for extra £100 which suggests no testing has been done at all. Would they be susceptible to a few negative reviews? Go back to the retired spark that recommended them?

Do you know the names of the guys/company that carried out the work? Sounds very dodgy when they say they can arrange a certificate for extra £100 which suggests no testing has been done at all. Would they be susceptible to a few negative reviews? Go back to the retired spark that recommended them?
He could be one of them Alan!! Or at least involved with them.

Reply to Advice required on behalf of elderley mother in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net