Discuss Advice required on behalf of elderley mother in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

would like to see pic. of inside that CU if you can safely remove the cover with main switch off

The fact that both the 'general' socket circuits and both lighting circuits are on the same side of the RCD is a definite red flag for me. Following on, both the 'general' socket circuits have what appear to be 32A ring finals, where as the kitchen sockets - which will arguably have the biggest load - have what looks like a 16A radial. Very strange installation design.

EDIT - My mistake, I misread 'Shower' for 'Sockets' on circuit two. Even so, the fact an electric shower is on a 32A circuit breaker might be even more concerning. Would definitely get it checked out by an independent electrician.

I don't think this is wise @telectrix

The OP has said in their first post they don't know much about electrics. And then to ask them to pull something apart to look (I know it might be 1 screw - but still).

I think we've exhausted what we can actually help with. The rest is just curiosity? - Not sure.

OK, Dan. maybe jumped the gun there. we don't know exactly the OP's competence level and safety awareness. OP does however have a mate of his dad, who is a retired spark. perhaps he'swilling to advise in an on site capacity. btw, while you're on, can you get my like etc. button back. it's missing. i can't leave reactions. :) .

Last edited:
OK, Dan. maybe jumped the gun there. we don't know exactly the OP's competence level and safety awareness. btw, while you're on, can you get my like etc. button back. it's missing. i can't leave reactions. :) .
I refer you to his very first post.
I dont know much about electrical work
:)

Be careful telling people pull off electrical covers to mains. That's all I'm saying matey.

For all we know he'd be fine. But for the one in 100 that aren't, just by pure numbers, we're going to end up telling them to do it too.

OK, Dan. point taken. on re-reading OP, i seem to have confused with a similar post where the OP knew a retired MEB spark. apologies to OP. and thanks to Dan for finding my like button. :):):)

Before proceeding anywhere @Archangel, ask for your Electrical Installation Certificate. It part of the installation, as I alluded to in #16.

The replacement CU should be notified to your LBC, unfortunately and ultimately its the householders responsibility, to ensure that Building Regulations are complied with.

At what stage, did you become aware of this matter? £732 for a CU replacement and a few sockets, is not fraudulently steep, but asking for another £100 is starting to sound to me now, as somewhat 'suspicious' irregular.

My post seems to have disappeared....

Anyway

No point getting the original people back who did a bad job , they will only fudge it

All I would do now is get a EICR done and see what that throws up

Once again I'm grateful for everyone's replies.
In reply to clarify a few points...I dont live with my mother so didn't find out about all the work done until after the event..they charged her £735 for rewiring parts if the house and fitting new double plug sockets on the outside of internals walls...whilst doing so they've either left cables dangling from the socket to the floorboards or fitted plastic trucking over them...having quizzed my mother further it WAS all discussed with her but she didn't like the result afterwards..nothing has ever been written all work verbally agreed...no she didn't check them out prior to using them she replied on one of dads old work mates to recommend them...the electric meter was/is ancient so they've fitted a new fuse board/board as per the pictures...they havent been seen since and keep telling mother the receipt will be put in the post...they refuse to provide the certificate for their work on the basis they need to get another bloke to do the checking and provide the certificate at a further £100 cost....this is where mother is at. I've given her the advice as seen above and advised her to get another qualified electrician in to do the checks or she is to consider trading standards/LABC herself (with family help). If anyone has any other advice please feel free and I'm grateful.

As an inspector and tester I have to agree the work looks untidy and could have been finished to a much better standard, trunking is commonly used where tracking is not an option and I think this is probally one of thoes cases, with regards to a new CCU this would require an EIC as per the regulations (644.1) nothing less and you should not be charged extra for this, the other issue I have is the 16A mcb for the kitchen sockets this is where the highest load is in any house and should have been investigated in to making this a ring final circuit, but this should have been discussed with the client and I suspect the lady would have agreeded to have this done had she been told as she had concerns over the installation in the first place, the lighting circuits should have been split to provide some discrimination and not both on the same RCD.
Bottom line its a shabby job and no self respecting spark would be happy to put their name to this.

Reply to Advice required on behalf of elderley mother in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net