Discuss Advice Rogue Kitchen Fitter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

brizospark

Been trading on my own now for almost a year and mostly going well. I have been having problems with one customer though, a kitchen fitter who subcontracts me.

I have been doing work for him now for around 4 months and we agreed on price per point and payments to be made 14 days after kitchen is complete. First few jobs no problem, paid just about on time. After that however he has been an absolute nightmare to get paid from. Every time since the first couple of kitchens I have had to ask him at least 4 or 5 times for the money, which is frustrating anyway. I have heard every excuse you could think of, all the usual ones, problems with online banking etc etc.

So anyway I had a couple of weeks break over Christmas / New Year so thought I will get fully squared up before starting any further work. After Christmas break still no payment, 3 x invoices outstanding, the furthest back around 2 x months since I done the work.

So he gets in touch with me asking what day I am available to wire kitchen, I told him I would be available Thurs/Fri but would require payment first, not possible he said, I will pay you next week. Heard it all before, I thought, I'm not getting any further into this until I get paid. So I told him that I would definitely need squaring up before starting any new kitchens. So he text me saying I will just have to get someone else then. OK I thought, no great loss.

The real problem started yesterday though when he said that one kitchen we fitted, a month ago, RCD has started tripping. I explained that the problem would be with the wiring elsewhere in the house, not the kitchen, as all the kitchen wiring new and rest of house old with some pretty dodgy electric work that I noticed. Anyway, you can't call 1 month after work has been completed and suddenly say there is a problem with my work which was all tested ok. Plus the job was 60 miles away.

So anyway after explaining that the problem most likely be with the existing wiring he said you will still need to go and check it ASAP. I then said I would nip in and check it as a gesture of good will next time I was in the area (next week anyway) but I wouldn't be doing so unless I received the late payments from him. He then got back in touch and sad don't bother I will get someone else to do it and take the bill of of your payment!

Could not believe the cheek of this! Just wondering what advise you guys have on this. I don't know whether to go down the legal route to get my money as I don't see payment coming through any time soon.

I know what I should do, and want to do, but that might jeopardize getting my money even more!!!

Difficult one re the tripping as its 60 miles away. The most important question is do you really want to do more work with this chap - and only you can answer this!

People like the muppet you are talking about, really make me want to vomit, one of these guys shafted my lad like yours has done to do you know what you want to do but can't as it is illegal. They're chancers through and through, ought to be shot barstewards

Make it clear that you want paying or you will be going public!

I had some clown owe me money not too long ago, not a great deal but still, it's the principle, He runs a well known chain of beauty salons throughout the South East and has about 5,000 followers on Twitter. After the first public mention on Twitter about how much money he owed me for starting rectification work on his dangerous installation he paid up within the hour and my Tweet was deleted!

If this option won't work for whatever reason then make it very clear to him that unless he pays all monies owed by a certain date that you will start court proceedings. If he doesn't pay then stick to it and take him to court!

Another option is to use the threat of costing him more than he owes you! If he knows that one day he'll come out to find his nice shiny M5 full of expandy foam he might think twice about not settling up in full! Just don't get caught and don't make direct threats.

The other option is to sell his debt to you to a debt collector, one thing worth noting is that you'll probably get much better value for money talking to a *cough cough* debt collector *cough cough* as opposed to a proper firm.

There are many options available to you, thankfully I have only been owed money a handful of times and only one person was ever a pain to get the money out of, but I got it eventually!

I feel for you mate, I know first hand what kitchen fitters are like! Cockroaches, the lot of 'em!

Just had a guy who in the passed had p155ed me about something rotten,he rang me yesterday needing something done asap,asked him for his credit card which he gave me,so ordered the gear I wanted and no argument about do you really need that.sometimes somehow you,ve got to teach them a lesson.

I had some clown owe me money not too long ago, not a great deal but still, it's the principle, He runs a well known chain of beauty salons throughout the South East and has about 5,000 followers on Twitter. After the first public mention on Twitter about how much money he owed me for starting rectification work on his dangerous installation he paid up within the hour and my Tweet was deleted!

If this option won't work for whatever reason then make it very clear to him that unless he pays all monies owed by a certain date that you will start court proceedings. If he doesn't pay then stick to it and take him to court!

Another option is to use the threat of costing him more than he owes you! If he knows that one day he'll come out to find his nice shiny M5 full of expandy foam he might think twice about not settling up in full! Just don't get caught and don't make direct threats.

The other option is to sell his debt to you to a debt collector, one thing worth noting is that you'll probably get much better value for money talking to a *cough cough* debt collector *cough cough* as opposed to a proper firm.

There are many options available to you, thankfully I have only been owed money a handful of times and only one person was ever a pain to get the money out of, but I got it eventually!

I feel for you mate, I know first hand what kitchen fitters are like! Cockroaches, the lot of 'em!
All you need to remember is the foam goes in the door gap,then the exhaust,not just the exhaust which is the mistake most people make.

Trouble is mate going public doesn't worry some of the gits who owe money, like the last bit about "dept collectors"

max payment terms without prior agreement are 30 days from invoice, after which you can charge statutory interest rates, and commence county court proceedings against them which they would have to cover the costs of.

send him final demand in writing with 7 days notice to pay before interest and legal fees get added to the bill.

Who cares about the exhaust. It only goes in the door gap! lol.

£20 for a box of eight canisters of the stuff, two locked on for each door!
you evil SOB put you me and my dog together and we could take over the country lol:lol: and if we come unstuck Tony and Geordie can run backup.

I have a genuine sympathy for the OP and i feel loathed to say what i know to be true,but,you lead him to the point you are at by allowing increasing deviations. The day late,two days late,banking problems etc etc gives these people a reason to wind in the micky. More than likely,he had already decided to find a reason to stiff you,and don't forget,any chance of recovering something lessens with continued work-based discussion. Done some recovery work,embarrassment,persistence and shame get some money back,anything physical or wordy usually provides minor satisfaction and/or time away from your children......Pursue him. The internet makes it a doddle. Find who HE respects,works for,associates with,and,providing you are fully in the right,captive-bolt him....good luck.

The cucking funt who owed me £1300 who unfortunately cannot be named on here but gets bad mouthed in every merchant in Leicester, he paid first job instantly, then the next two, took me 60+ days to get the money. He would just say stop asking I'm irritating him, and you will get it one day, or I've not been paid so I'm not paying you. I did three jobs in total for him, first paid iimmediately, then I thought I'll do another as he will probably pay, but then I did not her back to back to it, so I thought well he will probably pay this week.

Anyway, got my money, yesterday, took a £60 court claim letter to him, and he paid up immediately, -------! It coat me £60 but at least I have the money now.

A mans best friend = http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

All you need to remember is the foam goes in the door gap,then the exhaust,not just the exhaust which is the mistake most people make.

Lets not forget the "super glue" in the key hole trick! It works on cars, vans and homes. On one occasion (when I knew he was out for the night) I did "a Trick" and left him a torn out page from the Yellow pages for a locksmith on his front door step held down by an off cut of 1.5mm T&E!!!! He got the message!

3-4 Cans of foam will fill the cabin of the car, just need 1 for the engine and what is left over will do the exhaust. Wait until you get paid first, then play trick or treat? Rumor has it that a disgruntled sparky was had for just over a grand from a millionaire contractor and his Range Rover Vogue cost £24k to repair????

Get your money first then you can have your revenge.

I like the building foam idea, you know, although I have my money now, I'm still going to do something to him one day.

Maybe put building foam in his mouth, seriously he deserves it!

If someone does some work for me, I pay them immediately on completion in full.

I bet these people go in sainsburys etc, fill the trolly and walk out and say, I've not been paid yet, so I'm not paying you...

I say, if they hve had the goods / services, then they should pay.

The bloke that messed me about, his van windscreen is covered in serious amounts of scratches like someone had been over it with a load of screwdrivers and really badly, I mean really badly scratched it up all over, to the point it verges on looking like a frosted window with a pattern in it from a far.

I asked him how it happened and he said, he had an apprentice who tried scraping ice off it with a paint scraper, ppersonally I think someone got their own back.

When I first met the bloke, he said his other electrician broke his leg, the storey changed over a few weeks to he's just busy... He probably never paid him and told him to sling his hook.

If someone does some work for me, I pay them immediately on completion in full.

Exactly!!!

One time I even had to take out a loan to pay my guys and my subbies as cash flow was so poor that month and my invoice to the main contractor still hadn't been paid. I spent two weeks eating beans on toast! We are talking tens of thousands here!

That's the price you pay for running a company sometimes! Yes, 99 times out of a hundred you will be making alot more than the guys working for you, but that one time, you will be up s**t creek without a paddle whilst your guys are still comfortable.

An employer has a duty is to ensure that their employees and subcontractors get paid right and get paid on time!

That's the way I see it. You can't have your cake and eat it!

Exactly!!!

One time I even had to take out a loan to pay my guys and my subbies as cash flow was so poor that month and my invoice to the main contractor still hadn't been paid. I spent two weeks eating beans on toast! We are talking tens of thousands here!

That's the price you pay for running a company sometimes! Yes, 99 times out of a hundred you will be making alot more than the guys working for you, but that one time, you will be up s**t creek without a paddle whilst your guys are still comfortable.

An employer has a duty is to ensure that their employees and subcontractors get paid right and get paid on time!

That's the way I see it. You can't have your cake and eat it!

There were times when I did without pay myself to ensure my employees got what I owed them.

Reply to Advice Rogue Kitchen Fitter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net