Discuss Advice sought on Wiska Boxes for new lights... in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Barcyn

I want 5 mains lights fitted in the garden (by Part P sparkie). He said Wiska Boxes have to be fitted before each light - that is, SWA into Wiska, SWA out of Wiska to new light. I can't see the point in this. If SWA's are connecting into the light, why does it need a Wiska box? I don't want to argue with him uneccesarily. But is he right?

Thanks for any advice.

Ah! So the cable he'll use to connect from the Wiska to the light won't be armoured? If so, I get that. Excuse my cynicism.

Thanks very much.

No problem

My guess is that the Wiska boxes are to connect SWA to SWA and the out door grade cable for the lights.

I would keep the Wiska boxes above ground

I want 5 mains lights fitted in the garden (by Part P sparkie). He said Wiska Boxes have to be fitted before each light - that is, SWA into Wiska, SWA out of Wiska to new light. I can't see the point in this. If SWA's are connecting into the light, why does it need a Wiska box? I don't want to argue with him uneccesarily. But is he right?

Thanks for any advice.
I think you are misunderstanding the situation Barcyn, the electrician will nee to take an SWA to the first light and then on until the end of the run, terminating the lights via some flex, suitably glanded into the WISKA box

I put some lights in our garden last year,little column lights from b&q,they were brill to connect,swa’s straight into the lights,perfect,connected flex to swa’s with wago’s.

I put some lights in our garden last year,little column lights from b&q,they were brill to connect,swa’s straight into the lights,perfect,connected flex to swa’s with wago’s.
Were you able to daisychain the SWA to each light?
Why did you use flex rather than use the SWA conductors?

Were you able to gland both SWAs into the light? And if so why then use flex when your already in the light?[/QUOTE]

Reply to Advice sought on Wiska Boxes for new lights... in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net