Discuss Advice suggestions please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

domestic spark

Gone to a job this morning had a call from a customer when i plug too much I'n on this side of the kitchen it trips the whole house, house DB protected by 30ma rcd. Went to the job apparently this has been the case for 4 years or more. Happens then washing machine is on and toaster and kettle is used. Trip it now appears that 2x sockets on one side are on the ring. Over the other side on t&e goes down the wall to feed a socket above worktop, spur from this to under cuPboard lights, spur to socket below worktop to wm outlet, spur from this to tumble dryer, spur from this to double socket on worktop further over. Bingo! Problem solved overloading one t&e radial, from ringmain, must be jb above ceiling! All faceplates nackered a right mess under cupboards t&e lashed everywhere and you should only spur off once I've said best option is to run a new circuit. All old stranded cable however insulation resistance tests all good etc. Just to sort it all properly. It will take me a day on my own to complete and test, dabbing new ring into existing board surface trunk above units then drop behind units for 5 double sockets and 3 spurs for appliances. Was going to go I'n at 400 pounds does this sound fair ?

So the rcd is tripping the whole house, and IR are ok? sounds like some appliances are leaking current, the fixed wiring although a mess has returned satisfactory results.

sounds a fair price. only suggestion is might it be easier to run 2 radials, 1 to each side of the kitchen. use 4mm for the heavily loaded side at 32A and 2.5mm at 16A for the other side.

Gone to a job this morning had a call from a customer when i plug too much I'n on this side of the kitchen it trips the whole house, house DB protected by 30ma rcd. Went to the job apparently this has been the case for 4 years or more. Happens then washing machine is on and toaster and kettle is used. Trip it now appears that 2x sockets on one side are on the ring. Over the other side on t&e goes down the wall to feed a socket above worktop, spur from this to under cuPboard lights, spur to socket below worktop to wm outlet, spur from this to tumble dryer, spur from this to double socket on worktop further over. Bingo! Problem solved overloading one t&e radial, from ringmain, must be jb above ceiling! All faceplates nackered a right mess under cupboards t&e lashed everywhere and you should only spur off once I've said best option is to run a new circuit. All old stranded cable however insulation resistance tests all good etc. Just to sort it all properly. It will take me a day on my own to complete and test, dabbing new ring into existing board surface trunk above units then drop behind units for 5 double sockets and 3 spurs for appliances. Was going to go I'n at 400 pounds does this sound fair ?

Will this new circuit be protected by the single consumer unit RCD?

cause for tripping i came up with was OVERLOAD and yes carried out a full test on circuit and came up trumps. one side of kitchen 0.07, 0.06, and 0.04/5 readings on r1+r2 readings, over the other side where a visuall confirmed, a spur from ceiling for double socket on counter to another undercounter and a spur spur and one final double socket, leg came up through boxing and fed another double further alond the counter.

OVERLOAD? max amperage for one 2.5mm cable approx 21a at best?? and if you plug in kettle whilst washing machine is going??

r1+r2 readings over other side were 0.24, 0.28, 0.32, 0.44 at last point (double socket) confirms its a radial (spur off spur off spur)

non rcd fuseboard, hager, all MCB'S protected by a seperate 30MA RCD thats been added at some point of the installations life. so this enables all MCB's to now be 30Ma protected.

r1+r2 readings over other side were 0.24, 0.28, 0.32, 0.44 at last point (double socket) confirms its a radial (spur off spur off spur)

my cause for concern as to why its tripping RCD unit. OVERLOAD! especally as its a spur off a spur off a spur etc.

being a numpty. hob was original cause for 30Ma RCD to trip whole house! i dissconnected that.

My secondry problem was indeed MCB tripping Kitchen ring, when 2 or more appliances were plugged in over one side! however this fault is the intermittent one over past four years. Make sense now?

being a numpty. hob was original cause for 30Ma RCD to trip whole house! i dissconnected that.

My secondry problem was indeed MCB tripping Kitchen ring, when 2 or more appliances were plugged in over one side! however this fault is the intermittent one over past four years. Make sense now?

Yes now we have the full picture, what size mcb was it?

Reply to Advice suggestions please in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock