Discuss advice wanted please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

debbiedoodar

HI, i hope you wont mind me posting on this forum, im not an electrician just a dizzy blonde looking for some advice.. I have been sent a singing xmas tree from america from a friend. it came with a black transformer type plug. I knew it wouldnt work with our plug sockets as it only has two pins as oposed to our three so i bought a travel adapter thinking this would work WRONG i now know from googling it that i should have used a volatge converter . my question is this.. the tree worked for a few moments then stopped and i could smell a slight smell of burning so i unplugged it immediatly. Does this mean the tree is now broken or would it be the adapter is broken. If i want to get the tree to work in the uk is there some sort of transformer/ voltage adapter i can buy to make the tree work, It says on the american transformwer type plug the following.. CLASS 2 TRANSFORMER, INPUT 120VAC 60HZ 110MA OUITPUT 6VDC 100MA . I hope some one can advise me please.

you need a 240v/6v adaptor. it will be that that's blown. 100mA is the current required. so the adaptor must have a current rating of > 100mA. try cpc farnell or maplins. you may have to alter the output end to suit the tree. can you post a pic of the one you have?

Unfortunately you've put twice the required voltage into the transformer, which means twice the voltage has been fed to your lights. Chances are they've all blown, as well as having blown the transformer. Suggest throwing them out. Sorry....

it's worth the cost of a new PSU to try though.

only one way to find out. use a PJ996 battery to see if the lights are OK.

HI, i hope you wont mind me posting on this forum, im not an electrician just a dizzy blonde looking for some advice.. I have been sent a singing xmas tree from america from a friend. it came with a black transformer type plug. I knew it wouldnt work with our plug sockets as it only has two pins as oposed to our three so i bought a travel adapter thinking this would work WRONG i now know from googling it that i should have used a volatge converter . my question is this.. the tree worked for a few moments then stopped and i could smell a slight smell of burning so i unplugged it immediatly. Does this mean the tree is now broken or would it be the adapter is broken. If i want to get the tree to work in the uk is there some sort of transformer/ voltage adapter i can buy to make the tree work, It says on the american transformwer type plug the following.. CLASS 2 TRANSFORMER, INPUT 120VAC 60HZ 110MA OUITPUT 6VDC 100MA . I hope some one can advise me please.

WOW thanks for all the advice, I cant put a photo of the plug on as i have only made 1 post and it says i need to earn that right by posting at least 6 times !!,its just a black transformertype with the voltage markings ive already posted. Also my object is not not xmas lights, its a singing and dancing xmas tree, its called a douglas gemmy fir tree, if you look on you tube with that title you can see it in action. its very special to me and i really dont care what it cost i just need to make it work so the adapter that one member has recommended is a very good idea and so i think i will try that for just over a fiver that would be great if it worked. Would the wire/ lead that comes adapter fit my tree though as the end of this black US adapter thng has a bulit in lead that ends with a little plug in jack type end ?? all the advice you have given me is greatly appreciated. thank you

oops just one quick question again, if i bought that thing would i just plug it into the tree and staight into the power plug, is that how it works. thanks

ae of ends. just pick the one that fits.s it looks, that psu has a choic

Oooo you guys are so shallow, if the post was from a body builder having problems with his steroid measuring scales he would of been told to get an electrician in but as soon as she mentioned dizzy blonde it made it all ok. I can't believe how shallow you are....................ps Debbie I don't mind coming round to have a look for free lol

come on mate. getting an electrician out to replace a plug in adapter is like getting a cosmetic surgeon to pop your zits.

not me mate. it's this stupid laptop. touch the on board mouse while typing and it jumbles everything up.

makes a change from someone pretending to know it all but' just stuck for an answer' I don't mind helping these people who are just dizzy blondes, trouble is everyone else gets in there first. you can always refer her to the jokes thread, where she can spend her time laughing while you chaps sort out the problem. No, oh well.:innocent:

Now now boys. how do you know im not a blonde "bodybuilder " what do you think the doodar is at the end of my name ?? HA HA PMSL ..only joking ! your last answers gave me a laugh anyway..Anyway have ordered the plug thing and will let you know if it solves my problem when it arrives. thanks again .Debbie........(debbie does dallas indeed tut ) :))

Reply to advice wanted please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net