Discuss Advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am a retired electrician, the last 34 years working as an electrical technician on a oil refinery. So not having any study or training of installation regs for over 35 years+.
I am planning to have a conservatory built and wish to install a ring main and lighting. My thoughts were to run a 6mm twin & earth plus a 6mm single earth cable from the incoming supply consumer unit to a 2way unit in the conservatory. What are your thoughts.

Why do you need a consumer unit in your conservatory? Would it not be more practical to run the socket and lighting circuit from your exiting consumer unit or even extend existing circuits?

Conservatories are normally just connected through the existing lighting and power circuits. How big is it going to be.

Why do you need a consumer unit in your conservatory? Would it not be more practical to run the socket and lighting circuit from your exiting consumer unit or even extend existing circuits?
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have seen where a 6 or 10 mm cable is run to a consumer unit, in the main using SWA because the rest of house is so old and to add RCD protection etc. would increase costs, and the job was to provide a disabled kitchen not some recreational room.

The first question is do you need planning permission? If so adding the electrics to the application makes very little difference to price, otherwise the cost of the application for just the electrics gets silly, I know with just a front door had to get tape measure out to see if over 50% was glazed.

I have seen where a 6 or 10 mm cable is run to a consumer unit, in the main using SWA because the rest of house is so old and to add RCD protection etc. would increase costs, and the job was to provide a disabled kitchen not some recreational room.

The first question is do you need planning permission? If so adding the electrics to the application makes very little difference to price, otherwise the cost of the application for just the electrics gets silly, I know with just a front door had to get tape measure out to see if over 50% was glazed.
It's never a bad thing to have RCD protection for your house, if your doing this work it could be a time for a board change?

In the case of my father's house, yes it needed a re-wire, and he said "I am not living in a building site, you can re-wire it when I'm gone." and that is exactly what happened.

However my mother was an amputee and needed a kitchen she could work in from a wheel chair, this left a problem, how to comply with regulations yet re-do the kitchen, and the method selected was a mini consumer unit in the kitchen.

For non essential work I have no qualms at saying if you want the work then you need a rewire, but for essential work one has to look for a way around the problem.

Commercial not really a problem, you can dig in your heals and say no way, but for domestic one has to weigh up what is going on and bend the rules a bit.

Reply to Advice in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock