Discuss advise needed on large rewire (smokes listed) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
start my largest rewire next monday -5bed over 4 stories

2 things I want to iron out before I start really....

1) I have quoted for installing LD3 grade D fire in each hall/landing and heat in kitchen- but advised the client this likely may need to be a Grade A system and he needs to seek advise from local BC/fire officer to confirm- and he would need to get a 3rd party contractor to install the Grade A if needed- (basically I wouldn't feel too confident installing it!)

which he is happy with- but doesn't seem too fussed with extracting an answer from them- but I am- as I want to know to wire for it or not lol!!

-does it need a grade A if its basement,ground,1st and 2nd floor (401 m2-including small garden- not sure m2 of just the house)
-also if it is required- are break glasses etc required in a domestic setup or just the smoke/heat head + sounder+panel?

2) The house is a listed Grade 2- again in the quote I added in my terms about this- waving responsibility and it will need making good by builder with chases etc- which he is again happy with- I again told him to confirm any restrictions with his local council- to they reply in his words 'chasing is fine'

Am I right in saying grade 2 is only concerned with external of the building- and I should just go easy with the ceiling coving and the (extremely high and thin!!) skirting boards)

In terms of cabling for lighting and power- I was just going to wire it in LSF as I can't seem to find a definitive answer on whether PVC T/E is ok or not in listed grade 2- to protect the building from any potential smoke damage.

Last edited:
not a new build (listed lol)
building control are not really involved/on site as no structual aterations- just rewire+new plumbing+new flooring+decorating etc

Hi J.C.E,

You are not right about listing only applying to the outside. Working on a listed building without appropriate concent carries a maximum 10 year prison sentence and / or an unlimited fine. A mate of mine was fined £1000 for refusing entry to a council official who came to inspect a listed building, that was after 3 days in court!

A building within a conservation area, usually an area with a number of listed buildings surrounding it making a protected zone is when only the outside is protected, even on a new build.

We do a lot of restoration and refurbishment work on listed stuff and most councils have conversation officers within their planning office who are responsible for managing this type of work, they are an unusual breed and unlike a building inspector there are no 2 decisions the same, and there is not much course to appeal their decision. Most are negotiable but some I think are totally mad and would like to go back to gas lamps an open fires!

Yours may have no problem with chasing however I doubt your customer has even asked because they will defiantly require listed building concent if there doing a large refurbishment, technically even changing the wall colour requires a notice, that is when the council are getting hea. I had one job where we had to agree a route for fire alarm cables in a pub "reusing" existing holes, lucky i drilled a few earky on!!

If you do get a visit from the conservation officer just so you know commercial property they have an immediate right of entry residential they must provide 24hrs notice of requiring access. The mate I mentioned above Brentwood Council forced entry to his building with a warrant a day after he refused to let them in, he hadent even started work!

Hope that's not put you off I'm sure it will be fine.

I have waved responsibility to the client regarding any restrictions on the quote which he has signed

Plus in a follow up email with him confirm he has checked and chasing for rewire is fine.

The house is in a conservation area- likely why it is grade 2 as it doesn’t look any thing special

Reply to advise needed on large rewire (smokes listed) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net