Discuss Advise on 16A Plugs & sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Well its a long run, so voltage drop is an issue! If remember correctly the 16A socket is being fed with 6mm2 I just wondered if some 6mm2 H05 would fit in a 16A plug terminals, as the lead will come out the socket via a coupler socket on a trailling lead to a 32A appliance outlet.

why not change the 16A socket for 32A and upgrade OCPD accordingly if necessary. ( assuming Zs is acceptable) ?

Ok heres the theoretical route of the from the panel.

Panel socket (16A) > Plug (16A) > Coupler (32A) > Appliance outlet (32A)

Reason not changing it is that its a rented porta cabin so can't modify that. So will just have to make up a trailing lead for it.

I had some standard 16A sockets that I put 6mm² into, the instructions said max 4mm² but 6 fitted, this was planning for a larger supply later.

If you can't change anything that's 'fixed', then make a very short 16>32 adaptor using 4mm (think you'll struggle with 6mm in most 16A ceeforms) then run a 32A cable in 6mm out to the load.

If your run is REALLY long and you're genuinely concerned about VD then you could also [puts tin hat on] go from the 16/1 to a 32 5p adaptor which means you could double up and run conductors in parallel using a standard 32A 3PN+E cable in 6mm, swap back down again at the other end. Obviously, you'd have to ensure that the adaptors each end get disabled straight away afterwards.

Why is the panel using 32amp equipment , i assume its because 16amp is not suitable so to supply from a 16amp set-up would be a concern, the 16-32 changeover lead wouldn't comply and wouldn't pass a PA-test as its possible to use it and place an small overload for a long duration on the 16amp system...

Rockingit i would suggest a bullet proof hat not a tin one for that suggestion just imagine if a 3ph supply was plugged into the 3ph socket OMG!!!! why would someone accidently do that :shocked3: .. not to mention incorrect use of the plug and socket as the i suspect their will be a N in a terminal marked L.

Last edited:
I dont see how you can overload the lead? As it can not be used the wrong way? But yes i do see it wouldnt pass an PAT test. Also the concern on loads as ive calculated currently roughly is that, the porta-cabin would not pull more than 16 amps, also as the way it has been wired is that an it has small 1 way DB which has a 16A MCB with the lighting on it spured off the radial. So other than an issue with VD and Discrimination, shouldnt be any or many issues i can see?

Thank you for your replies guys!

Your saying its got a fuseboard with only 1way in use for a radial and lighting spurred off... so you can really say that a heater or two won't be plugged in and a kettle which is common within cabins ...does sound a bit limiting unless the siting of the cabin means it won't require heating.

That aside you have no overload discrimination you have a front end OCPD rated at 16amps feeding a dist board with a 16amp mcb .... yes it will all work but poor design and bad practice at best....

Also the length of extension and your concerns with VD sounds like this cabin really wants a dedicated supply put in rather than a makeshift solution. Even temp' set-ups need to comply to BS 7671 and are usually subject to the same regulations as permanent set-ups.

The comment about the is an issue who's to stop someone using the extension lead for other purposes at any point in the future the fact it can be means you should make it up in the first place and like you say it wont pass a PA-test due to its config' so how can you put it into service to start with. .

Yes i see these quick fix solutions all the time and in-respect don't create much of a problem normally but dosn't mean its correct to do it...its slides into the cowboy land.

I take it im right in thinking you have a 16amp extension with a 32amp socket outlet on it ... yes maybe plugged into your set-up its got a front end 16mcb but its an extension lead that can be used for other things simply telling them not to dosn't wash in the scope of the reg's.

Last edited:
Hi guys I have a question what size conductor can you fit in a 16A 2P+E 230V socket/coupler/socket?

Thanks

here we have a conductor, driver, and inspector. try them for size. conductor for the current, driver for your LED lighting, and an inspector to sign it all off.

Advise on 16A Plugs & sockets buses - EletriciansForums.net

Rockingit i would suggest a bullet proof hat not a tin one for that suggestion just imagine if a 3ph supply was plugged into the 3ph socket OMG!!!! why would someone accidently do that :shocked3: .. not to mention incorrect use of the plug and socket as the i suspect their will be a N in a terminal marked L.

I think one of us has misunderstood the other. Not exactly sure how you think 3ph could be introduced given the upstream output is only ever 16A single? And a socket/plug terminal is only ever as marked as the next label that's put on it!! You'll have clearly read my last sentence, I assume?

I think one of us has misunderstood the other. Not exactly sure how you think 3ph could be introduced given the upstream output is only ever 16A single? And a socket/plug terminal is only ever as marked as the next label that's put on it!! You'll have clearly read my last sentence, I assume?

Maybe crossed wires here Rock' pardon the pun ... i read it as the op will have an extension with a 16amp plug on one end and a 32amp on the other both 1ph... i read yours as changing this extension to a 4pin and earth set up and having the extension utilising parallel cores 2 live cores 2 N cores over the 4 pins .... + earth .... i saw this as the extension could be unplugged at future date and accidentally used on a 3ph outlet... by your response thats not what you were suggesting ...soz!

Reply to Advise on 16A Plugs & sockets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock