Discuss Advise on becoming a self employed contractor :) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sam Lapham

Hello,
I am currently an Apprentice/Improver for an electrical firm focussing on commercial/Industrial installations but I am getting layed off once I have completed my AM2 (October) after which I will be fully qualified. Once my AM2 has been completed the opportunity of becoming self employed has really appealed to me but I am a bit lost on where to start. Where I am living at the moment (Bath/Bristol) there is ALOT of new big construction sites but I am just after some information regarding getting on to them, unless directly employed by the contractor is agencys the only way? Is there a way of finding out what agencys the company in charge of the site uses? I am confindent in what I do but I was thinking of starting off as a mate to get to grips with the bigger construction sites and to see what is expected of the other electricians on site. If anyone has any advise I would be very gratefull!! Thanks

Just phone Hrmc and ask for UTR number... I don't know if I made mistake or not but i said to my first agency il even take mates job to get started , but I'm doing sparks work and don't know weather to say I would like more money , or jump ship or see out contract as only 10 weeks ..

Just phone Hrmc and ask for UTR number... I don't know if I made mistake or not but i said to my first agency il even take mates job to get started , but I'm doing sparks work and don't know weather to say I would like more money , or jump ship or see out contract as only 10 weeks ..

That's probably why Electricians can't get decent rates because blokes are working for mates rates.

Unless you know someone already on site the best way to get contact information is to ask the security guard. They have to have contact details for a foreman of each trade/company. If he or she is nice they'll give you the number and you can ask for a start. If they're an annoying jobsworth the most they'll tell you is the company name and you just take it from there.

Ignore those guys saying you're killing the trade. All trades rates have gone down the last few years because, believe it or not we're in a recession and companies know they can use this to drop their rates.

On site just be prepared to work hard, half an hour breaks mean half an hour breaks etc as you don't want to be getting pumped before December. If you're out of work before Christmas then it's very likely you'll spend most of January out of work too.

Sad but true.

^^ Cheers for your help much appreciated!! Its people like yourself that im sure actually have time for other people! Take it easy mate

Believe me if you a good spark and not feared of graft and willing to travel you'll get more than jib rate, get over yourselves ..

I'm only out of my time who hasn't even got jib/ecs card yet and yes sold myself short ,but doesn't mean I've sent the trade wages over the edge... I've no doubt il get the rate within next few weeks within this contract or il move on and get the rate. I really think the agency are paying me as mate but charging me as a spark, cause the gaffer came in the other day and said Trevor this guys a mate you show him what to do.. This first agency I've worked for..

I take mates job to just get foot in door and numbers. I these days you have to take the ruff with the smooth. I have had people saying I am robbing myself for taking mates job but work is work. I have managed to get my own jobs off it as well. Ain't got jib/ecs.

On the last job there were Electricians working as mates and the agency told them if they needed another Electrician they would be chosen but then the agency kept them as mates and got another Electrician in.

Reply to Advise on becoming a self employed contractor :) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net