Discuss Advise on Powerline usage in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bleys

Hi all

Looking for some advise on Powerline usage. We have an old house with thick stone walls so I have successfully extended the ethernet network using a powerline product. At the furthest end is a wireless modem router set as a wireless access point only and which also has some RJ45 connections in use. I recently upgraded the powerline product to a gigabit (so called) version and whilst I know I would never get high speeds it certainly seems to be faster and looks like I am usually getting in excess of 200Mbts so I am happy with speed. Trouble is the modem router that I use to extend the wireless network doesn't seem to like the new powerline even though it worked fine with the old one. I don't know if it's a standard issue of the fact that it's 10/100, but I get now wireless and a degraded wired connection.

Anyone have a view on the best product(s) to replace the old router? Do I need a 10/100/1000 router at the far end or just a newer router? Am I best using a hub and wireless AP seperately?

Thanks
Bleys

Hello members,

Tips and Considerations on Upgrading to Wireless N
1. Use the Same Manufacturer for All Gear
2. For Full Improvements, Replace Adapters
3. Don't Mix Wireless B/G with N
4. By Default, the Higher Speeds Won't Work
5. Use 40MHz-wide Channels Only with Strong Signals
6. Carefully Select 40MHz-wide Channels
7. For Fastest Wireless-to-Wired Connections, Go Gigabit
8. For Best Throughput, Take Advantage of the 5GHz Band
9. Don't Use WEP or WPA
10. Make Use Of your Old Wireless B or G Gear

Thanks and Regards,
Steven Brooks

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello members,

Tips and Considerations on Upgrading to Wireless N
1. Use the Same Manufacturer for All Gear
2. For Full Improvements, Replace Adapters
3. Don't Mix Wireless B/G with N
4. By Default, the Higher Speeds Won't Work
5. Use 40MHz-wide Channels Only with Strong Signals
6. Carefully Select 40MHz-wide Channels
7. For Fastest Wireless-to-Wired Connections, Go Gigabit
8. For Best Throughput, Take Advantage of the 5GHz Band
9. Don't Use WEP or WPA
10. Make Use Of your Old Wireless B or G Gear

Are you suggesting using an open wireless network or what alternative do you recommend to secure it

Perhaps worth noting that while Powerline et al. are all hooting about these 1000 Mb/sec speeds, your average 1-2yr old PC/laptop still only has a 10/100 network adapter.

In short unless you're machine's fitted with a 10/100/1000 adapter, the only way you're going to get a speed increase above 100Mbps is by running more 10/100's in parallel.

And yes, if your Router's only 10/100, it's the absolute limiting factor to your network speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Advise on Powerline usage in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net