Discuss Advise please on a new re-wire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Im still waiting to see the documents with my own eyes, they certificated the install on completion bit Ive not read it yet. The home owner would not have known anything about the requirements other than she said she was just getting it re plastered. The home owner was unaware of any issues until I saw the install. Im going to photograph all documents and you can all make your comments further from there. I will also get further install pictures including inside DB.

Did she receive a written quotation?

I'm afraid in a race to the bottom dictated by domestic customers wanting the lowest priced job possible its pretty standard for the domestic electrical industry. Its not right but it is commonly seen.

It's too easy to blame the customer for the race to the bottom, they want value for money, OK that may also be the cheapest price, but then they can't be surprised by what they get, but they should get a decent standard of instal, which I think most on here agree they did not get. but lets look at this another way, £4500.00 minus perhaps £1500.00 for materials, six hour day by £35.00/hour gives us fourteen days, was the electrician on site for fourteen days?

It's too easy to blame the customer for the race to the bottom, they want value for money, OK that may also be the cheapest price, but then they can't be surprised by what they get, but they should get a decent standard of instal, which I think most on here agree they did not get. but lets look at this another way, £4500.00 minus perhaps £1500.00 for materials, six hour day by £35.00/hour gives us fourteen days, was the electrician on site for fourteen days?

1500 for materials? Nowhere near that, they provided no light fittings and few switches/sockets. Was 3 men on site for 3 days.

If you want to judge if value for money was achieved try pricing up the materials yourself, don't forget to add overheads & profit margin, I am not trying to excuse the shoddy workmanship, but just pointing out materials and overheads are much more expensive now days than twenty years ago when you said you where involved in installations.

If you want to judge if value for money was achieved try pricing up the materials yourself, don't forget to add overheads & profit margin, I am not trying to excuse the shoddy workmanship, but just pointing out materials and overheads are much more expensive now days than twenty years ago when you said you where involved in installations.

I asked my electrician friend to cost them he said £500 tops?

3 men working its a company that has done it so they need to make a profit van's insurances plus extras.
[automerge]1584796453[/automerge]
I have just price up for a bungalow 32 points plus extras estimated @ £3 half grand. That working me self.

Im not so much arguing about the cost here, Im weighing the cost against the workmanship. Is that £4500 worth of work? Really? I personaly only pocket £100 a day after tax now I appreciate self employed have many extras so yeah 4.5k I understand AND accept. But for that work? Thats clearly 2 labourers that have done that work not skilled men, the skilled man has done the wiring I guess.

Im not so much arguing about the cost here, Im weighing the cost against the workmanship. Is that £4500 worth of work? Really? I personaly only pocket £100 a day after tax now I appreciate self employed have many extras so yeah 4.5k I understand AND accept. But for that work? Thats clearly 2 labourers that have done that work not skilled men, the skilled man has done the wiring I guess.

What did the written quotation say? I’m starting to think there isn’t one.

Its all pretty much academic now anyway that I have received all your advise, thanks to all. And end of day regs havent been broken as such so other than what was quoted I guess customer doesnt have much recourse. I think I will end up tyding things up for her as it can not be left like that even just to 'decorate'.
[automerge]1584800674[/automerge]
What did the written quotation say? I’m starting to think there isn’t one.

I believe there was one and Ive yet to see it all, I havent had chance to return to customer yet to get more info as far as paperwork all she said was 'yes it was quoted' and 'yes they have left certificates' so I will check further.

I would certainly be embarrassed to leave the chases and wiring like that. I'm surprised at the amount of 'it's good enough' comments on here. On rewires we use a wall cutter with dust extraction, cutting the chase a little wider than the chisel used to dig the wall out. Then install the cables in oval tube. Capping is fine for new installs as the walls are flat, but when chasing deeper than the plaster as is often required on a rewire we use oval to protect the cables as the back of the chase is often fairly rough. 20mm oval fits nicely into a 20mm box knockout and will allow the cables to be replaced in the future without damaging the plaster again.

I would have expected a bit more effort for the price, especially for the cabling on show by the consumer unit. I would at least be calling them back to chase the cables in deep enough to allow plastering, and to sort the IP rating of the top surface of the consumer unit. If they couldn't be bothered to meet the requirements of the top surface they could have run the cables in either side, the bottom or the back of the consumer unit.

Reply to Advise please on a new re-wire in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net