Discuss AEG T58870 tumble dryer will not start in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oziris

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would appreciate your advice. Recently my AEG T58870 tumble dryer stopped working. It stopped in the middle of the drying cycle and the LCD screen just "died" (no digits on it at all). Since then, it won't start. I've tried using another socket which I know is working properly but no joy.

I called the AEG service and a repairman has arrived. He tried another socket as well, and then without having done any further tests or even disassembly he said a new "spare part" will be needed which costs about 250 euro. (I was not home at that time so I am just repeating what he said to my wife and I had no opportunity to ask him for details). Now we're waiting for the spare part more than 5 weeks and they say it's out of stock in the EU. It's such a poor service that I don't want to deal with them anymore.

So my question is what's wrong with the dryer. If the guy was right, then I assume the spare part for about 200 GBP would correspond to a PCB (part marked as "587" or "587c" on dryer diagram which is the "configured electronics" or the pcb module card). However I don't like the idea he made his conclusion just by looking at the machine and trying another socket, and just based on this I will have to order a new PCB from the UK??

Now I know there is a couple of things I'd need to check before ordering a programmed PCB or another electronic spare (587/587c), like the thermal fuse or other stuff. Where to start please?

I've removed the upper and right panel. So far I've found out that the tumble dryer condenser assembly has obviously never been cleaned up, so there is half an inch of dust and hair everywhere. Could it be that the thermal fuse was blown because of that?

Thanks
[automerge]1575802708[/automerge]

Hi marconi. As for my technical qualification, I work in an IT lab, assembling and disassembling PCs, replacing parts, settings BIOSes etc. As for electrical qualification though, it is little to none. I do have the multimeter, but here is the deal: I was able to diassemble the dryer and I have removed the PCB. Then I brought it to a company that was able to fix it for about 50€. Putting all parts back took me almost 4 hours, but the dryer worked. At least, it worked two times, then the same issue occured again. So I brought the PCB to fixing company again. They fixed it for free, but now I am pretty hesitating... I assume there is something that keeps killing the PCB, but what that might be, I dont know

So, since the repair, you have had 2 complete dry cycles and all was well. Then when you tried it a third time the dryer was defective. You now have the same pcb repaired again.

Some basics first: Is the machine supply the correct voltage? Measure it and tell me.

Is the machine earthed? With the machine plugged in measure the resistance between a screw on the dryer and some other electrical equipment, a water pipe, a gas pipe and tell me the readings.

Go to where the electricity enters your home and look for a thick green and yellow wire from the circuit breaker box - where does it go to?
[automerge]1576868530[/automerge]
I assume you have checked and cleaned or cleared all filters for water and air as detailed in the machine's manual.

Do you have a stable house electricity supply or do you occasionally have dimming (-brown outs), flickering or short black outs?

Last edited:
Thanks for feedback. We do have a stable house electricity supply. No dims at all. I have cleaned the filters. I will check the cables and electric box outside, as per your instructions, but here is the update:i have switched the socket (there are two available) and tried to turn the power wheelon the dryer. No drying cycle though, just testing if lcd is working once i turn the wheel. It did about 10 times, then suddenly out of nothing this night i turn the wheel-lcd is working, 2 seconds later i turn the wheel and it is dead. So i dont think it is the socket. On top of that i have the washing machine from the same manufacturer, having the same pcb and it works ok.

Sorry, i dont recognize the acronym DEM. At least I have never ever seen it on my dryer. Once i turn the wheel, the lcd switches on, but straight forward it shows selected drying program. But now it shows nothing, it is just dead. No light at all.

DEM is demonstration mode for salesman to explain the dryer to customers.

Turning electrical equipment on and off and on and off in quick succession can cause problems because of transients. The circuitry is unlikely to be designed to cope with this unusual behaviour. I am not clear if this is what you did.

I have searched on-line for your symptoms but to no avail. Sorry to say, on this occasion I do not think I can offer any further help. An item I would change though - just in case it is faulty - is the mains filter/interference suppressor item 37.

AEG Tumble Dryer Interference Suppressor With P - Part Number 1360160004 for t58870 (91609650300) - https://www.ransomspares.co.uk/parts/brands/aeg/tumble-dryers/t58870%20(91609650300)/interference-suppressor-with-p/303511.htm

:-(

Hi Marconi, here I am after almost 4 months. It seems the problem was the mains filter, indeed. I had the PCB repaired twice and everytime I mounted it back, the dryer worked once or twice and then the LCD died. As a last desperate attempt I tried your suggestion and I've ordered the mains filter from the UK, for about GBP 24.00. And I had the PCB re-repaired (for a third time). I've replaced the mains filter and mounted the repaired PCB back on dryer and voila, it works. So far I tested the dryer and run about 7 cycles and everything seems to be fine, so I hope this is it. Thanks so much Marconi, you saved me EUR 500 for a new dryer :)

Reply to AEG T58870 tumble dryer will not start in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net