Discuss AEI single phase motor,with 6 terminals and three circuits.NO centrifugal switch. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
An acquaintance of mine has an AEI six terminal single phase motor, with three circuits. Z1- Z2, A1- A2, A3- A4. The starters is an AEI Stayrite. Apparently windings A1- A2 and A3 A4 are connected in series when starting. Z1- Z2 the start winding, together with a capacitor is connected in parallel with the other group as normal across the supply. Please note there isn't a centrifugal switch. However, when up to speed the start winding circuit is disconnected and A1-A2,A3-A4 are then connected in parallel across the supply . A form of limited current starting, as in Star / Delta but for single phase. Has any one got a circuit diagram of the AEI Stayrite starter which I can have a copy of. I appreciate that AEI has long since gone and no doubt the motor starting arrangement was originally BTH anyway, but hopefully some one had kept a copy.

If it’s of British Thomson Huston origin it’s like me, old.

Send me some pictures of the motor plate, terminal box and starter and I’ll sort a drawing out for you.

Some BTH motor starters had the start capacitor and a timer in the cubical. Last time I saw one like that was in the late 70’s in a Lancashire flour mill. Up until I retired four years ago I was still working on BTH gear.

Thank you Tony and Marvo I have now got a circuit diagram of the starter.I made a mistake the motor was EE and not AIE. Marvo the motor capacitor is fitted in the starter box and not attached to the motor as shown on your photo. BHT was all the latest in my days.Happy new year to you both and thanks for showing an interest.

I would still be interested to see some photo's of the motor and starter.

It’s worth noting that BTH gear is still made by Telemecanique (to special order) and costs a bloody fortune.

I had to get them to make parts for a 1250A DP contactor, the bill was enough to bring tears to the eyes. It was for a 433V 800HP closed transition star delta starter. The faulty contactor was causing a S/C on all three lines. I’d got the panel open watching the sequence when there was an almighty explosion and it took the 11KV out, I’d found the fault! I needed clean underwear afterwards.

I have a drawing for this type of motor as you described it the name I know it as is a series parallel single phase motor, and yes it is a bit like star delta. the control gear is the same as far as the control side. PM me your email and I'll send you the drawing I have, can't get it to paste here

Less efficient and often problems with starting torque. To be honest I’ve had very little to do with them. 3Ph being available everywhere I’ve worked.

I mentioned a motor I came across in a flour mill. I took it out to use on an old Westinghouse loco compressor. I built the starter with a timer and the capacitors inside.
Saves all the problems with muck getting in the centrifugal switch. (Ask HighTower about that, he had some fun and games getting one running. I think he sent me some pictures of the mess inside the motor.)

I have a drawing for this type of motor as you described it the name I know it as is a series parallel single phase motor, and yes it is a bit like star delta. the control gear is the same as far as the control side. PM me your email and I'll send you the drawing I have, can't get it to paste here
Hello DUKE, not really sure that I know what I'm doing, not very competent on the computer. I've been retired more than20 years and things have changed so much and so quickly. Anyway still get ask about motor problems so keeps the brain active. Email address *removed* Ted

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to AEI single phase motor,with 6 terminals and three circuits.NO centrifugal switch. in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net