Discuss Aerial socket question! in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

DNS1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Sorry folks, technically it's not the right thing to post in this forum, but I figured my question fits in here better than elsewhere!

Need to add an aerial socket in a bedroom. Got a new run of co-ax chased into the wall and the new socket installed, with the other end coming out in the backbox for the main aerial socket in the living room next door.

Problem is, how do I connect both co-axial cables (new one and main one from roof) in the same socket?

I would stick ends on both cables and put a splitter in, but there's not space in the back box.

Is it possible to buy a single aerial outlet plate, but with 2 terminals on the back?

if the signal is good enough. use a blank plate instead of an aerial socket. drill 1 or 2 holes in the blank, bring cables out, fit splitter. would have been better to feed aerial int attic, fir amp, the from amp to each TV.

Best to run the new cable into the loft and then use a "contactless" splitter/amp - but that will need power, but you can get some where the PSU is in the room and it feeds 12V back up the aerial cable

well, I was outside earlier cleaning my van when an old lady walked past with her dog and stopped to talk to me. she asked if I fitted aerials, said yes. asked her what exactly she wanted done. she said she wanted to put a TV in her spare room for when people stay over.
anyway, to cut a long story short- she gave me her address and asked.if I could pop round some time and give her a quote. said yes, no problem. finished my van and missus was away out with dogs so decided I'd pop round to the woman's house to take a look. (10 mins away) anyhoo, get there, most surprised to see me. took a look in attic, found there was already a booster+splitter up there. nice simple enough job. an hour max. went downstairs to give her a price and she agreed.asked when I could do the job. I told her I would just do it now and she was most surprised. poor woman thought it would take a few hours. so I went out to my van, got some tools and coax, and 40 mins later, job done. on completion, I went to tell her I'd finished. because she didn't realise it would be getting done straight away, she didnt have any cash on her. we got chatting and it turns out she knew my gran..I just told her not to worry, and to just give it to me next time she was passing my house or whatever.
nice easy unexpected job :D

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379865123938.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 46
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379865133544.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 47
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379865150565.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited by a moderator:
Not a good idea if you have 2 TVs on at the same time as you will loose some of the signal
The loss occurs in the split. Whether the tv's are used at the same time does not affect levels
Further amplifying an amplified system is not recommended. Amplifying unless not completely necessary is not recommended anyway. If the system was installed properly and to the guidelines then the level of signal received will be way above what is actually required and can easily be split.
Even though it could be very useful in limited circumstances, nobody makes a faceplate with an inbuilt splitter. Trouble is that whilst it could be useful it could also easily be misunderstood and therefore misused if daisy chained ending up with no signal at the end.
Telectrix is correct apart from the use of an amp as is Murdoch again apart from the use of an amp.
Easiest and neatest way around your problem is to fit a metal dual utility box, aerial faceplate one side, blanking plate on the other. You then have space to split within the box and if you use the guts from an external splitter then all connectors will be facing the way you want them and will avoid ruining the signal by kinking your cable.
Bridging a two gang face plate will introduce an impedance mismatch and could well result in an uneven or a lossy split

Reply to Aerial socket question! in the FreeSat, Sky, VirginMedia Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net