Discuss AFDD requirement and smoke alarms 18th ed in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Am I correct in thinking under the 18th edition for a new build property an AFDD is compulsory or is this not the case if risk assessed? I am still yet to complete my 18th ed. Also for new build properties is it still ok to hard wire smoke and fire detectors off lighting circuits under 18th?

Many thanks

has for smoke and fire it depends on the installer .fit with lights or without lights that is the question .#
https://electrical.------.org/wiring-matters/issues/71/the-18th-edition-bs-76712018-is-launched/
is only recommended to fit one . read chapter 42 .

Last edited:
AFDD’s are currently only a recommendation to install in certain types of installations. Currently very difficult to justify installing them as the prices are ridiculous.
Bs5839 part 6 allows smoke detectors to be installed on their own dedicated circuit provided no other equipment is connected to said circuit, or from a local used lighting circuit.
Note Bs 5839-6 has been recently updated

Premises with sleeping accommodation (e.g. a youth hostel) Locations with a risk of fire due to the nature of stored or processed materials (e.g. barns) Locations with combustible construction materials (e.g. a building constructed primarily of timber) Fire propagating structures (e.g. chimney like spaces, lift shafts) Locations with endangering of irreplaceable goods (e.g. museums).

AFDD’s are currently only a recommendation to install in certain types of installations. Currently very difficult to justify installing them as the prices are ridiculous.
Bs5839 part 6 allows smoke detectors to be installed on their own dedicated circuit provided no other equipment is connected to said circuit, or from a local used lighting circuit.
Note Bs 5839-6 has been recently updated

Sorry so are you saying it cannot be used from a lighting circuit. I dont like the idea of smoke alarms being on their own circuit as someone could easily isolate the power to them where as you would know if someone took the power off to them on a lighting circuit because youd have no lights. Makes sense to me for safety purposes

Sorry so are you saying it cannot be used from a lighting circuit. I dont like the idea of smoke alarms being on their own circuit as someone could easily isolate the power to them where as you would know if someone took the power off to them on a lighting circuit because youd have no lights. Makes sense to me for safety purposes
re-read post #3. says "or from a local used lighting circuit".

Reply to AFDD requirement and smoke alarms 18th ed in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net