Discuss AFDD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

These devices are starting to look like that bomb detector,the dude had the military over with....i think he drew 6 figures,before they looked inside it...and locked him up;)

McCormick was his name,got ten years....maybe he's serving it at Eaton's R&D division?

Last edited:
It doesn't look like that Eton AFDD is fit for purpose after seeing that video.
Would like to see Etons response.

Without any way to test the functionality of an AFDD on site correctly (outside of a lab), they have been introduced far too early.

Considering the price of them not being cheap. How are you going to explain the only way you can check if one is faulty is replacing it.

(An actual solution described in the troubleshooting of one manufacturer.)

They've been around for a while in the US now and cause nothing but bother. Fridge compressor starting causes tiny arc in contacts (something it's designed to handle) ooops half the house is now without power. An there is no test you can do to prove anything is ok.

AFDDs are a response to an American problem, 30k housefires a year caused by high-current radials in wooden buildings, and what we would call substandard wiring - lots of wire nuts, for example.

A feature of RFCs is they don't arc if there's a single break, a safety factor that AFDD makers want us to abandon, just so the AFDD can detect an arc if a break happens. In other words, increase the chances of a dangerous fault just so an AFDD can detect it.

Sparks are supposed to recommend AFDDs and note if the customer declines. How is the customer meant to make that technical judgement?

AFDDs are a response to an American problem, 30k housefires a year caused by high-current radials in wooden buildings, and what we would call substandard wiring - lots of wire nuts, for example.

A feature of RFCs is they don't arc if there's a single break, a safety factor that AFDD makers want us to abandon, just so the AFDD can detect an arc if a break happens. In other words, increase the chances of a dangerous fault just so an AFDD can detect it.

Sparks are supposed to recommend AFDDs and note if the customer declines. How is the customer meant to make that technical judgement?
Good point Mate, but with some of the prices of AFDDs being bandied about, I think the decision not to use them will be a financial choice.

Ha! That's a brilliant video - there's nothing in that bloody great big thing apart from a green LED. How big a CU are we supposed to need to get a few of them in? Half the places you find them installed in won't have enough room. Nice one IET, when are the £1K testers coming on sale, mind you they should be pretty simple things to test the innards of that pile of junk.

Always worth a watch is JW :) .
It doesn't seem right for IET to put these in the requirements without bags of research and testing to validate them. Perhaps I missed that step in their process ? (Warning - sarcasm likely)

Saw it earlier. Makes you wonder if they are any good?
Its the downside to letting commercial interests get on the jpel/64 and influence regs. The companies that make them have seen £ signs galore with these.
A pretty damming example of how these AFDDs aren't all they are made out to be, it was a low load, but how much will it take to start a fire?????? good video JW

Nice vid.
Are you sure he tested it correctly to standards IEC 62606 and 60898-1?
I showed this vid to one of the guys at work. We couldn't find the spec for the Eton on but we looked at a ABB one.
He was testing on a 40W load. That's 0.17A on a 16A device.
The ABB graph doesn't even go down that far. It just goes to 0.1 (which is 1.6A. 10th of 16A) and it is looking for an ark of 1 second at about 2.5A, so could be up to 10 seconds for 0.17A assuming the graph continues up.
AFDD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! upload_2019-2-14_13-23-43 - EletriciansForums.net
http://search.abb.com/library/Downl...guageCode=en&DocumentPartId=PDF&Action=Launch

Nice vid.
Are you sure he tested it correctly to standards IEC 62606 and 60898-1?
I showed this vid to one of the guys at work. We couldn't find the spec for the Eton on but we looked at a ABB one.
He was testing on a 40W load. That's 0.17A on a 16A device.
The ABB graph doesn't even go down that far. It just goes to 0.1 (which is 1.6A. 10th of 16A) and it is looking for an ark of 1 second at about 2.5A, so could be up to 10 seconds for 0.17A assuming the graph continues up.
View attachment 47828
http://search.abb.com/library/Downl...guageCode=en&DocumentPartId=PDF&Action=Launch
Yes but I think he was trying to say that the small spark he WAS creating might be enough to start a fire. Might.......obviously the more juice you have the more likely you are going to get a decent spark, but these days you often are not going to be using much, especially on lighting circuits. So is it worth it?

Yes but I think he was trying to say that the small spark he WAS creating might be enough to start a fire. Might.......obviously the more juice you have the more likely you are going to get a decent spark, but these days you often are not going to be using much, especially on lighting circuits. So is it worth it?

I understand where you are coming from mate, but it looks like the people who wrote the standards for these devices don't think that these small sparks are significant enough to cause a fire, as if they did then the AFDD's would be designed to detect them.

Saw it earlier. Makes you wonder if they are any good?
Its the downside to letting commercial interests get on the jpel/64 and influence regs. The companies that make them have seen £ signs galore with these.

This just reinforces my original thoughts....what a pile of carp.
It might have been an idea to have increased the loads whilst monitoring the temperature of the point of arc.

It's a good idea but ill thought out and too rushed thorough, as well as being far too expensive.
At least the design of an RCD does not require any electronics and works on basic science.

Reply to AFDD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock