Discuss Affordable 3G dongle service. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Been away to the family’s lodge in aviemore. Great cabin, but missing one thing; Internet!

my mobile data ran out, and no Wi-fi coverage. Best we could get was 3G on my wife’s phone.

Does anyone know a mobile internet dongle or access point that we could leave up there and use on a PAYG manner? Or a cheap monthly cost.
A modem that we can connect other devices to?

Perhaps something that uses my BT account? Like I can use BT hotspots for free by just logging in.

A friend of mine has a work-around in the form of a cheap phone on contract that provides a WiFi hot-spot and gives a couple of GB per month for the fee. I can ask about the details.

Cheers. I would have used my phone.... I get 20Gb a month, but I’d used it all up for this month.

if we leave something set up all the time up there, I could fit a smart thermostat so we could adjust the heating when we know someone’s going up... and possibly a cctv feed. (I know that would use a lot of bandwidth when being viewed remotely

Vodafone do unlimited data only sim for about £20 per month.
Just need to buy a cheep mobile router.

Smarty do 30Gb for £10 a month, even cheaper if you have multiple contracts with them. They use the Three mobile network.

Interested to now hear what people are paying for mobile tariff's.... I'm with Three and get unlimited everything, globally (well, the 100ish countries that matter), for £24 a month.

I am paying about the same, for unlimited everything

Due to lack of fiber in my area I have a 3/4g antennae and a router with an unlimited sim only deal.
About £30 a month as EE is the only network with coverage.

Good answers all.

my phones due an upgrade, so might try to do a deal. I'm with o2.

If i could get an unlimited mobile data on a 3/4G device instead of my phone, i could carry it in my van for internet on the go... and take it up to aviemore when i go there.

The tv up there was freesat. We got skyQ at home, so were explaining why i couldnt just "pause" the tv or watch stuff on plus1. If i had unlimited data i could use my disney+ up there too. 10Gb wont last long streaming

Deal.
I'll PM you details when i get home
I'll get it fired up later to make sure it still works, I think I've left the WiFi channel open so it's easy to connect to first time round.

if the OP is not interested, i will happily take it off your hands, just pm me bank or paypal details and i will sort it later.

When I moved last year the broadband was only copper to the cabinet and a really slow service. I got a 4G data SIM from 3 and tried that but it was really slow. Then I tried one with EE and it was really good. 3 let me cancel the contract as they admitted their 4G network was over-subscribed in my postcode and they didn't yet have 5G so what I'm saying is that if you try one network and it isn't great, try another. Might even be worth doing PAYG until you find what you want.
I now have better broadband speeds in the house as they upgraded to fibre to the cabinet but I still have the EE unlimited data sim for when I'm on site. It's £26/month I think.

Reply to Affordable 3G dongle service. in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net