Discuss After a little advice. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster. I am not an electrician but I enjoy learning as much as I can. I am currently renovating a house (small 3 bed semi) and have pretty much completely rewired the place. My intention is to get an electrician to check what I’ve done (while all cables are still exposed, visible and easily moved if necessary and boards are still up etc) and then final fix and test. I’d like to make as much provision as possible before getting them in, so I’m after a bit of advice on a couple of things.

Firstly, I’m extending the kitchen into the garage and the incoming mains cable will be slightly in the way but fortunately it comes up from the half of the garage that won’t be the kitchen so will only need to be shortened and moved about a metre. While I’m getting this done (I’m not sure exactly how yet), I think it’s a good idea to fit an isolator (one of those Wylex ones) to make the rest of the work easier? So am I right it would be main into fuse then into meter then isolator then CU? I will inevitably have a smart meter installed at a later date I guess. 25mm tails? Current CU has 100a main switch.

Secondly, I think I may as well get a new CU so can you give me an idea of what I need for it. I’m thinking of going down the RCBO route to keep the size down but this is where my knowledge lacks a little. What needs an RCBO? Or is it a good idea to use on all circuits? These are my circuits..

Upstairs ring - 2.5 T&E mostly clipped to or through joists. Approx 40m total ring length.

Downstairs ring - 2.5 T&E mostly clipped to or through joists. Approx 40m total ring length.

Kitchen ring - 2.5 T&E mixed clipped to joists and in stud wall. Approx 20m total ring length.

Outside sockets - 2.5 T&E only 2 sockets, radial

Upstairs lights - 1.5 T&E all LED spots (approx 26 bulbs)

Downstairs lights - 1.5 T&E all LED spots (approx 26 bulbs)

Outside lights - 1.5 T&E all LED (approx 14 bulbs)

Built in Ikea oven 13a no further info available currently - 2.5 T&E radial

Built in Ikea microwave combi (rated 2800w, 16a) - 2.5 T&E radial

Boiler - 2.5 T&E radial in garage near CU.

What RCBOs/MCBs should I spec? Is there anything here that worries you? Have I done anything dangerous or stupid?

Thanks in advance.

You are not permitted to touch anything before the meter you need the DNO to do this for you. Secondly are you registering this work with building control? If not you are breaking the law and the authorities can make you remove or alter the work.

I won’t be touching anything. Especially not DNO property. And yes, the electrical work will be included with the planning for the garage conversion. I just want to buy in as much as I can and be as prepared as possible.

I won’t be touching anything. Especially not DNO property. And yes, the electrical work will be included with the planning for the garage conversion. I just want to buy in as much as I can and be as prepared as possible.
Your electrician will be able to provide what is needed, a bad move in my eyes supplying materials yourself.

For what reason? I’m sure he won’t fit anything incorrect just because I’ve bought it.
yeah, but if you've bought it and it is incorrect, you then have to pay out again for the correct materials. false economy. most wholesalers will not refund you on materials purchased in error. it costs them to restock and complete paperwork.

For what reason? I’m sure he won’t fit anything incorrect just because I’ve bought it.
Didn't mean it in that was Mate, to a Layman buying off the shelf accessories may sound good, but the person doing the work will know what is needed, what you have bought may not be ideal for how he intends to do things, best leave the supply of installation equipment to him.

Regarding buying fittings, it depends on the parts.

Consumer units: a lot of electricians have their favourite makes which they are more familiar with, and likely will be quicker to install. Plus they carry spares. There are 4 or 5 makes I regularly install, and there are a few I'd really try to avoid using.

Light fittings: I prefer customers to choose their own decorative fittings, then I know they'll like them. But some fittings are really best avoided (some Ikea ones fall into this category). Some makes of downlight are much easier to install than others (it is small things, like the connectors, whether room for 2 cables, etc).

Cable probably doesn't matter so long as you get the right sizes (and I really HATE seeing lights wired in 2.5mm T&E, you know a builder or DIYer has done it, and all the cores get exposed outside the fittings).

Sockets, switches need to be compatible with the mounting box depth. E.g. some flat plate types won't go into 25mm deep boxes.

In summary, I'd suggest you wait till you've got an electrician you are happy with, and discussed & agreed who supplies what.

You say you have pretty much rewired the house already. And that you will get an electrician later on to sign it off I imagine. That is not going to happen. The reason for that is that anyone doing third party has to be in on the design stage and throughout the installation. Clearly that window has been missed. You are required by law to notify electrical work at least 48 hours prior to commencement. You say you have done that. In which case they will have arranged an electrician already to attend and the questions you have asked would already have been answered so I am a little puzzled by your assertions that this has already been attended to. The questions you are asking are beyond this forums remit to answer truly speaking. The lack of knowledge you display means that you are out of your depth and may be heading towards a dangerous installation. Not advisable. I think it sounds like you have gone about this --- backwards and will live to regret it. Having said that don't misunderstand me I am all for the derring do you have shown it is just that you need professional help and sound like you are unwilling to pay for it. I suggest you halt and ask advice here about regularisation instead.

Reply to After a little advice. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock