Discuss Afternoon All in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Agreen90

Afternoon all,

Hope everyone is well I am currently in the transition of leaving the navy which I have been a leading electrical weapons engineer for the past 8 years. Will be commencing the domestic electrician full scope course this will cover C&G 2393 2382 2394 and also JIB ECS health and safety certificate. Would like some advice on best route to take. I will be working in Portsmouth and the surrounding areas, I have had mixed advice what to do with the resettlement team in the navy and also other electricians whether to bite the bullet and go out on my own straight away or work for someone else first to gain a bit of experience. Please could you advice with your vast experience and knowledge to help me make my decision.

Thanks
Alistair

Why are you leaving Alistar?

The domestic game is a pretty tough market at the moment by all accounts.

You will definitely need to shadow somebody for a few years before going alone.

Why are you leaving Alistar?

The domestic game is a pretty tough market at the moment by all accounts.

You will definitely need to shadow somebody for a few years before going alone.

I have decided to leave the navy as it is just too much time away now and I have a family. 9 month deployments :-(

the 2393 is a 1 day course just to get you au fait with part p of the building regs. ( i.e. the part that covers electrical work). as HT said, the 2365 is your starter for 10.

i'd equate that 5 week training to you being shown which end of a 12" gun the shell comes out of, then being asked to sink the Bismark with 1 shot.

i'd equate that 5 week training to you being shown which end of a 12" gun the shell comes out of, then being asked to sink the Bismark with 1 shot.
so your advice would be do the course then work for a company/ another electrician just to gain experience. Don't you think I find it hard as they will know in the long run I might be their competition

That's the dilemna we all have as adult trainees my friend. It's a tricky trade to get in to as an adult and takes a lot of hard work. I'm just myself beginning the full-time transition to the trade after it's been in the making for more than 2.5 years. It takes time, and it takes effort (a lot!) - anything less like a 5-week course really isn't going to set you up for anything, especially with no experience. Spend five minutes doing a search of this forum and you'd find dozens of threads giving advice on training routes, as well as dozens more from people who have done 5-week courses and have not a single good word about them.

P.S. I was one of the ones who came here sometime in 2014 with the "just gonna book on to a five-week course" type of post. Thankfully, there were a lot of good guys here who managed to talk me out of it and push me towards the 2365.

That's the dilemna we all have as adult trainees my friend. It's a tricky trade to get in to as an adult and takes a lot of hard work. I'm just myself beginning the full-time transition to the trade after it's been in the making for more than 2.5 years. It takes time, and it takes effort (a lot!) - anything less like a 5-week course really isn't going to set you up for anything, especially with no experience. Spend five minutes doing a search of this forum and you'd find dozens of threads giving advice on training routes, as well as dozens more from people who have done 5-week courses and have not a single good word about them.

P.S. I was one of the ones who came here sometime in 2014 with the "just gonna book on to a five-week course" type of post. Thankfully, there were a lot of good guys here who managed to talk me out of it and push me towards the 2365.

I just thought as I have been an electrical engineer on a warship for a certain amount of years I would have some background knowledge in the electrical side but obviously
I don't know anything about the wringing rules and regs.

It's just nerve racking situation as now I am leaving the navy. I thought this was the best route for me as I have experience with electrics and thought this would be the next option for me when I leave.

i'd advise trying for a job as an electrician's mate and consider doing the 2365 evenings at a local college at the same time.

I thought this was the best route for me as I have experience with electrics and thought this would be the next option for me when I leave.

We've had folks with HNC/HND and higher come in saying "I know about electrics, so I'm gonna be a house basher". Unfortunately, as talented as you'll no doubt be in your current role, I bet it's a world away from knocking a hole in Mr Jones back passage. One of the first things I was told when I came here was 'get experience with a qualified electrician', and 2.5 years later I couldn't agree with those words more. That's the most valuable advice I've had.

But surely you must be more qualified than a mere electrician if you have been a leading electrical engineer? And if you are why the hell would you want to be a house basher??? Surely you would/should be applying such experience and qualifications to gain a job in electrical engineering and structure a career in that??? Puzzled am I.

Haha this made me laugh reading all this this morning. I just want to be my own boss and not work for someone. So best bet by looks of it is like u said work as electricians mate gain the experience then start my own business :)

Reply to Afternoon All in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net