Discuss Age of those who can build a control panel and control a process in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Do you build control systems? If so, how old are you?

• Total voters
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D Skelton

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So reading through a few of the recent threads where lack of skills in the industry seems to be the main bone of contention, I'm personally interested in the way that the industry is changing with bias towards the domestic sector. It seems to me that most of those coming out of college nowadays only seem to want to know about twin and earth.

I'm still young, under 30 that is, but despite having a crap education for the first two years I spent at college, I was lucky enough to learn from a lecturer in my final year who had only known commercial and industrial work, a rarity these days I know, considering most of the lecturers at my local college have never spent a single day on site! My last year had a heavy design bias and a lot on motors, with an apprenticeship served mainly within the commercial environment, I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones. Still, during college and after leaving I took it upon myself to learn about things we never covered such as basic safety systems for machinery, basic plc programming and control panel design, build and fault recification.

The point is, I still have a hell of a lot to learn, and will continue to do so for years to come, but have at least got my foot in the door of a sector within the industry which I can see almost becoming extinct in later years as all the top boys start popping their clogs.

What I want to know is simple. If you are an electrician, an engineer or a trainee electrician or engineer and you can either do all of the following three things or are learning to do all of the following three things; put together a control system, no matter how basic or complex, program a plc, no matter how basic or complex and implement or at least understand how a basic safety system works, what is your age?

That's it.

Last edited:

I can only write basic ladder though. But I do panel design and build, installation work, machine maintenance, process, control etc.

I'd probably suck at wiring a house, I'd be too slow to make any money.

Damian, the day you know it all will be the day you die.

Forty five years in this sodding industry and I’m no where near the point when I’m totally confident that what I design is “legally” correct.

The first time I was asked to incorporate a PILZ relay, “I’m not putting that in!” It’ll make an emergency stop dangerous.

Time and tide wait for no man. Just go with the flow, it’s easier.

Damian, the day you know it all will be the day you die.

Forty five years in this sodding industry and I’m no where near the point when I’m totally confident that what I design is “legally” correct.

The first time I was asked to incorporate a PILZ relay, “I’m not putting that in!” It’ll make an emergency stop dangerous.

Time and tide wait for no man. Just go with the flow, it’s easier.

The thing is, there is going to be a time when people like yourself will be no more. The reason I want to know ages is because I want to know if all the experts in this field are over 50, or at least fast approaching. In 20 or 30 years time, how many 'me's' are there likely to be on forums such as these.

There are a small handful of people that use this forum for example that I imagine can do the three things listed, at the time of posting this, you and DW have posted, both I would consider experts in this field. There are more, and I've a long way to go to reach your level of knowlege, or even close!

I just can't imagine a time where it will be down to people like me to keep this area of the industry alive!

Quite a frightening thought if I'm honest.

I better get reading! Lol

There is so much knowledge contained within the heads of people like you, and it aint gonna last forever! I don't wish to come across as macabre, but I do worry for the future of this once skilled trade.

It's a poll DW. The clue is in the title :D

Whack yer age in there

Soz missed the pole bit, the industry has already got a 20yr gap of skills Im mown under replacing retired engineers where they have got my name by word of mouth, I travel Manchester, Liverpool and Hull to do simple repairs in my mind but the companies cannot source any local competent Electricial Engineers without ending up with domestic throwback out of their depth.

Looks like we’re all ready to pop our clogs.

Sorry Damian, but as the youngest, you’re it!

Ah crap! lol

Not sure I'm quite ready for that weight to be on my shoulders!

Surely there are some more youngsters either involved or getting involved with this side of things?!

Aged 27, wouldn't even know where to start on a panel build. I hold my hands up to having no experience beyond 'standard' installations of circuits and data, 90% of it in domestic situations. I fear i am a few generations behind the highly skilled electricians of yesteryear

I can string a control panel together and program a PLC of a good day and although on some days I don't feel it I'm under 50 still if that counts for much.

Not quite 50, though some days I feel 70, but a heck of a lot closer to 50 than I would like to be perhaps.

By the time my daughter finishes Uni after going there straight from A levels I'll be 50, so that could be a party!

i couldnt i know that, the only things i know about plc's etc ive learned online for my own curiousity, wouldn't have a clue about building a panel, i can read the drawings but that doesnt mean i would know what to connect where

The thing is panel building is no more difficult than wiring a house, IF you have the information, and the design, OK it's a bit different, but no more difficult, different yes.
I have done both.
However, panel design, and thus design of control systems is something completely different.
I would wager that almost all "normal" electricians/electrical contractors are not even insured for that work.

Im under 30 but my skills would be quite basic compared to other members on here but then again give me another 20 years and i'll get there lol

The thing is panel building is no more difficult than wiring a house, IF you have the information, and the design, OK it's a bit different, but no more difficult, different yes.
I have done both.
However, panel design, and thus design of control systems is something completely different.
I would wager that almost all "normal" electricians/electrical contractors are not even insured for that work.

Exactly i was hesitant to answer that i do panel building, certainly i can do what i'm told by following schematic drawings but to design a complex system from scratch would be a bridge too far for me

Reply to Age of those who can build a control panel and control a process in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock