• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss has anyone successfully fitted 10mm cable, 45A switch, 1gang backbox? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Switch will be in stud wall; cable currently running horizontally....looks like I may need to pull some slack through to run cables through top and bottom of backbox...or strip back sheath and bring through back of plastic box using a 25mm grommet. The 45A switch wiil be in a kitchen for an induction range cooker and I'd rather not use a longer type of switch that are usually used as shower isolators.

could you fit a contactor below worktop (in the void behind base unit) , in a decent size adaptable box, connect 10mm and hob there, then use smaller cable to switch.

could you fit a contactor below worktop (in the void behind base unit) , in a decent size adaptable box, connect 10mm and hob there, then use smaller cable to switch.
Don't know about contactor below worktop, but there's 2 or 3 contractors I'd happily put under the floorboards! Smaller cable?? Could have used 6mm and 32A breaker according to valve, but went with makers recommendation of 10mm and 45A breaker.

Yes but not easily.

Keep the dressed wires as short as possible and leave a bit of slack on the cable.

That way when the face plate is fitted the sheathing still enters the box.

I tent not to use the rear knockout though. Either top or bottom knockouts enlarged.

Yes but not easily.

Keep the dressed wires as short as possible and leave a bit of slack on the cable.

That way when the face plate is fitted the sheathing still enters the box.

I tent not to use the rear knockout though. Either top or bottom knockouts enlarged.
I have only got 31cm between the studs but by enlarging the holes I have managed to allow some slack in the cable to be pulled back and forth easier. By keeping the box central between the studs and maybe enlarging the cut outs slightly I should manage now. I've now got enough play in the cables to have the confidence to fit up the plasterboard now without leaving myself an insurmountable problem when it comes to connecting them up. I usually leave the cable cores quite long so they push into the box in a wide loop/corkscrew but I can see that keeping them short is the only way. Thanks for the advice.

You don’t want a long switch like a shower, ok.... what about a cooker control unit with a socket?
Uses a 2 gang box, but horizontally. Gives a bit more room to manoeuvre.

You don’t want a long switch like a shower, ok.... what about a cooker control unit with a socket?
Uses a 2 gang box, but horizontally. Gives a bit more room to manoeuvre.
Yes of course. I'll recalculate. It's 18.4Kw and I've been fixated on having a 1 gang since doing the calcs for 6mm cable ....which wouldn't have allowed a socket included. Now I've got 10mm cable.... we'll see.
Thanks.

:sweatsmile:Not quite Scouse, Boats don't sink, they dive, and I was fortunate to surface the same number of times. Pull up a barrel, dit on....In the early 80s on a long dived patrol my Fleet Chief said his Dad had been on a longer dive than any of us....one lad rose to the bait and said not possible on a diesel boat....to which we were told that his boat dived in 1943 and hasn't surfaced yet.?true dit. I thought it best to quit whilst I'm ahead?

Goodness me I could never work in a submarine for love nor money! Terrifying!

i'd go down in a sub 100 times before I's do a Fred Dibnah up a 200ft. chimney. you can't fall off a submarine.

MrMan101: Just curious - why did you leave the Navy? Is Civvy Street better, different or both?
Sorry for not replying earlier, I've just come back on the forum to look for info and realised I never gave a proper answer. I left after serving 33 years and immediately wished I'd left 10 years earlier, however after 5 years working in civvy street I realised that I missed the discipline and teamwork. When I left I just didn't want to be at sea in my 50s..... 'been there done that' is how it felt. So in answer to your question, civvy street was definitely different and better for me at the time, but for job satisfaction the Navy was good for me most of the time.

Goodness me I have removed a Kitchen draw and squeezed in to fit 10mm outlet box and 10mm cable to induction hob. It was a long job to do.

Good luck with that.

Reply to has anyone successfully fitted 10mm cable, 45A switch, 1gang backbox? in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back