Discuss Aico Launches 3000 Series in the Forum Sponsor News and Offers area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Aico Launch 3000 Series System | Aico Fire and Carbon Monoxide systems

Aico have launched a new alarm system for fire and carbon monoxide detection. As your clients switch on their heating as we come into winter protection against accidents is vital. the 3000 Series is one alarm system for both fire and carbon monoxide that easily slides on to an existing easi-fit base. It is fully backwards compatible with previous Aico systems. The 3000 system has SmartLink connectibility and AudioLink technology

You can see the video about the new 3000 Series System here.

Carbon Monoxide | Detect Carbon Monoxide

It is coming up to that time of year when your customers will put their central heating and fires on after the Summer months. Aico make a range of carbon monoxide detectors from simple stand alone ones to ones that are part of a complete fire and carbon monoxide intelligent system. They also have battery, mains powered and mains powered with battery back up alarms.

Become an Aico Expert Installer | Install Aico Systems

You can become and Aico Expert Installer by completing their award winning training course, which is FREE. training is is modules and you can pick the modules you do that are most relevant to you. A lot of the modules are CPD accredited. Upon completion of the course, you will receive supporting literature, and industry update along with Certificates to show your clients and van stickers.

If you are interested in becoming an Aico Expert Installer please email [email protected] and mention you are from ElectriciansForums.net in your email.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice units, dunno about the timing of the announcement though - I fitted some back in May.
One issue I do have with them is that the radio modules are very expensive, and if you hardwire the interlink then you lose some functionality - specifically the ability of all linked alarms to issue the appropriate tone for the time of alarm. If radio linked, then a (eg) heat alarm will signal a CO alarm if a linked CO alarm is riggered - but if hard wired then it'll just give a non-differentiated alarm sound.

I use Aico and am an Aico installer
The only down side of the new range is that the new range does not have ionisation detectors- these are particuarly useful in upper halls away from kichens but outside bathrooms or shower rooms

I asked Aico and apparently all manufacturers are moving this way.

I also like the Aico app - you can download the data from detectors

One thing with the app, well 2 things actually ...
Unless I've just not been looking in the right place, there's no way to reset the history - as in, "yes I know it's been removed from it's base, that was me, now stop showing it as orange in the reports until it's happened again".
The other is that it doesn't seem to have the ability to pull up previous installation info - if I've put the address in once for a detector, that's not likely to change often if at all.

Has anyone had any experience of the new 3000 series yet?

Any issues etc.

I am starting to get lots of questions about this now that all properties in Scotland have to have interlinked smoke alarms in various rooms mandated by law (well by the start of 2021 anyhow).

I usually just go with Aico, but now if they are the dog's xxxxxxx I am thinking of saying Aico 3000 series.

Has anyone had any experience of the new 3000 series yet?

Any issues etc.

I am starting to get lots of questions about this now that all properties in Scotland have to have interlinked smoke alarms in various rooms mandated by law (well by the start of 2021 anyhow).

I usually just go with Aico, but now if they are the dog's xxxxxxx I am thinking of saying Aico 3000 series.

I have not used them yet but I believe I might have to start as I have heard they are stopping producing their 160 range that I usually use as the 3000 range is the replacement.

No big deal really as the basic 3000 heads are the same price as the 160 range and have the same basic function. It's when you get into the multi sensor heads and radio link+ stuff that it starts getting pricey.

I have not used them yet but I believe I might have to start as I have heard they are stopping producing their 160 range that I usually use as the 3000 range is the replacement.

No big deal really as the basic 3000 heads are the same price as the 160 range and have the same basic function. It's when you get into the multi sensor heads and radio link+ stuff that it starts getting pricey.

Yeah, that's what I am struggling with at the moment, the new law isn't too clear, it is clear that all properties (new and existing) must have interlinked smoke or heat alarms in the living room(s), stairs/hallways, and kitchen(s), and they must also have CO alarms in any room with open flames (such as a coal or gas fire, cooker, boiler etc)

However, what isn't clear is firstly, does the CO alarms have to be interconnected? -

There is some implication that they should; and secondly does the CO system have to interlink with the heat/smoke system?

In general, this is usually no, as the sounds should be differentiated.

So to do this, it's either two systems hardwired - so typically CO in living room, kitchen, utility room (or wherever the boiler is), and any other rooms with a fire, plus a second set of smoke or heat in mainly the same rooms!
Or it's one system with the combined heat/CO for the kitchen and separates everywhere else - all linked via the wireless system, which allows the different sounds for different alarms

These become big money systems just to comply

Just a standard terrace house would have two halls, kitchen, plus a living room with a gas fire, this would be 5 or 6 sensors - at circ £60 each plus installation, this is pricy, if it's wireless interlinked, it's around £90 each plus (slightly cheaper) installation!

I'm not familiar with the Scottish law you mention so no idea about interlinking.
Massive pain and expense for Aico to only allow different sound tones via wireless though.

I'm sure there are cheaper brands that have differing tone function across all sounders via hardwired. Can't recall who though.

I like Aico as they are fit and forget- no problems

With the Aico you can mix battery and mains- for example you could have the hall ways wired and the lounge and kitchen wireless, to combine 2 technologies is easy with Aico.

I'm not familiar with the Scottish law you mention so no idea about interlinking.
Massive pain and expense for Aico to only allow different sound tones via wireless though.

I'm sure there are cheaper brands that have differing tone function across all sounders via hardwired. Can't recall who though.

The law is explained here: Fire and smoke alarms: changes to the law - gov.scot - https://www.gov.scot/publications/fire-and-smoke-alarms-in-scottish-homes/

There is more detail in the pdf which is linked from the above summary.

The key points really are that it's retrospective, all properties must comply and that the cheaper 9v type battery driven independent alarms are not suitable

We’ve fitted loads of the 3000 series. Hard wired the multi heads have different sounds so you know if it’s a CO issue or your house on fire. We always interlink. Why wouldn’t you want to know if granny is dying from CO in lounge when youre in the bedroom watching Netflix (apart from the inheritance angle) ?

We’ve fitted loads of the 3000 series. Hard wired the multi heads have different sounds so you know if it’s a CO issue or your house on fire. We always interlink. Why wouldn’t you want to know if granny is dying from CO in lounge when youre in the bedroom watching Netflix (apart from the inheritance angle) ?
Well it was my understanding that with the units linked via wire, there is only two states, alarm and no alarm.

So if you have a CO issue in the garage for example, then the alarm would operate throughout the house as if it was a fire alarm.

But if you use the radio connection, then the alarm would be indicated on each unit as a CO - not fire alarm and sound the different alarm.

Most of the manufacturers have something similar to this below, which advises not to interlink wired systems:

"The smart interconnect sends a unique signal for smoke and CO alarms on one interconnect wire. With non-smart interconnect CO products, no electrical hazard is associated with such a connection of CO and smoke alarms. However, homeowner confusion can arise when an alarm condition exists when these two devices are interconnected as they have different horn patterns. In addition, the homeowner's response to fire or CO hazards usually requires opposite reactions. In a fire, the homeowner needs to exit the building immediately. In a CO condition the homeowner should shut off appliances and open the windows before leaving the building. Mistakenly identifying what condition caused the alarm can have tragic results. For example, if a fire actually caused the alarm condition and it is mistaken for a CO condition, opening windows and turning off appliances can actually feed the fire and cause the homeowner to be in the building for precious extra minutes they may not have. Conversely, if a CO condition is what initially caused the alarm, and the homeowner believes a fire condition exists and no fire is found, they could succumb to CO poisoning by remaining in the building. It is for these reasons that smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms should not be interconnected in a residential application unless the CO alarms have a smart interconnect feature."

Last edited:
The law is explained here: Fire and smoke alarms: changes to the law - gov.scot - https://www.gov.scot/publications/fire-and-smoke-alarms-in-scottish-homes/

There is more detail in the pdf which is linked from the above summary.

The key points really are that it's retrospective, all properties must comply and that the cheaper 9v type battery driven independent alarms are not suitable

Interesting. So all homes must comply, even privately owned properties, but battery operated interlinked alarms can be used, not only mains powered.

Interesting. So all homes must comply, even privately owned properties, but battery operated interlinked alarms can be used, not only mains powered.
Yes providing they have tamperproof batteries - so generally 10yr lithium types, if you can remove the battery, it's not allowed.

'Too many people removing the battery 'cos it kept making a noise' I would guess

@Andy78 battery alarms can’t be used in the PRS or on new builds or major returns subject to building warrants as that would contravene the Building Standards.

@Andy78 battery alarms can’t be used in the PRS or on new builds or major returns subject to building warrants as that would contravene the Building Standards.
Long life battery units can be used (other than in hmo's) as long as they are tamperproof - in Scotland and in England/Wales for the PRS (other than hmo's or if new/major rebuild)

Last edited:
Well it was my understanding that with the units linked via wire, there is only two states, alarm and no alarm.
So if you have a CO issue in the garage for example, then the alarm would operate throughout the house as if it was a fire alarm.
But if you use the radio connection, then the alarm would be indicated on each unit as a CO - not fire alarm and sound the different alarm.
Yes, that's what AICO told me - with radio link+ all the units mimic the correct sound from whatever is triggering the alarm. However, if you fit a test switch in the system (IMO essential once get past "one smoke on each floor"), you can isolate the triggered alarm and then you'll know which unit triggered and what it triggered on.

We had a void (gap between tenants) in the flat last year, and as the smoke alarm was up for renewal anyway, I upgraded - adding a heat detector in the garage underneath and CO/heat in the kitchen - neither of which are mandated, but I don't work on "how little can I spend" when it comes to maintenance. In hindsight I should have just accepted making another hole in the living room ceiling and fixing it afterwards - so I could fish in an L shaped run of 3C&E. As it is, I had the heat detector in the garage hardwired with the test switch, and the smoke detector in the vstibule hardwired with the CO/heat in the kitchen - and another £60+ for two radio modules to link the two islands. On the other hand, when pressing the test switch, you can hear the garage detector sound almost immediately, then the two in the flat sound - so no need to go outside and down to the garage to check that it's sounding.
And I have to say that the Audiolink system is pretty nifty :)

And I have to say that the Audiolink system is pretty nifty :)
Can you get it to work? I've never been able to successfully download the audio data, tried on a couple of different phones, and with a CO alarm and a combined CO and heat. The app records it but says it's incomplete or something I forget. Tried 6 or so times with no luck.

Yes, you have to hold the phone surprisingly close to the alarm - I recon about 2 foot seems to work. It's not fun though - one hand holding the phone, the other hand with a finger in one ear, and no third hand to stick a finger in the other ear.

Reply to Aico Launches 3000 Series in the Forum Sponsor News and Offers area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock