Discuss aico mains wired interlinked/radio linked smokes and heat detectors in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

juanpabs

A little query for you guys that fit these smoke detectors, I've got a site visit next week to quote up for a landlord requesting more smoke and heat detectors fitted in his apartments. He has explained on the phone that he currently has aico mains wired smoke detectors fitted in some of his properties already, now I believe these are hard wired linterlinked. My question is, can I simply by adding a radio link base to one of the hard wired interlinked smokies then a radio link base to any new detectors ensure they would all be linked? Seems like it should work fine in my head but having never used the radio link bases before and cannot find anything confirming if this is possible.
Cheers

Yes, replace one existing base for radio base......then expand using wireless.
only code one apartment at a time, otherwise all apartment will be on the same code and sound together.

Just to add, I have had several dealings with them directly (Aico) and I rank thier customer service as somewhere inbetween

GALACTIC and Interstellar.

The ony thing to remember when adding the radio bases for remote units is that you will still have to locate and connect a local power supply to them!

Just out of interest....Had to use 12 radio linked 10 year battery aicos on a Georgian property a few years back. This was due to decor and lighting cables being run in old gas pipes...After specs going back a forward, the insurance company agreed, and allowed the system to be downgraded F from proposed D.

Just out of interest....Had to use 12 radio linked 10 year battery aicos on a Georgian property a few years back. This was due to decor and lighting cables being run in old gas pipes...After specs going back a forward, the insurance company agreed, and allowed the system to be downgraded F from proposed D.

Gosh, a bit of common sense applied through sensible communication!

Comes to a point Clive, were you can`t do the impossible..... Building and interior were listed, so we could not damaged plaster light decors, which were very fancy. Insurance company commented that grade F would be better than no detection on a £4.2 million property.

Comes to a point Clive, were you can`t do the impossible..... Building and interior were listed, so we could not damaged plaster light decors, which were very fancy. Insurance company commented that grade F would be better than no detection on a £4.2 million property.

Precisely, but muppets think they can cut corners in relatively modern properties rather than doing the job properly.

Just imagine if somebody downgrades the alarm without discussion with the insurers - the LABC aren't likely to spot a battery unit, yet come an insurance claim following a fire, your £2M PL, would come up well short!

The ony thing to remember when adding the radio bases for remote units is that you will still have to locate and connect a local power supply to them!
That's what I deleted. I've actually seen it where an installer has forgotten to feed a radio link base but then I thought that there's no way 2 people in the same country could be that stupid so decided to rely on the OP's intelligence

As a slight aside, the postman has just been. He brought me the Aico contractors handybook 3rd edition. Not had time to look at it properly but it looks very helpful

You can never be to sure....been to a house to help out local electrical wholeseller....and the guy hadn`t connected any mains cables, and stated "I thought they were supposed to be wireless"...so again got the wholeseller, to change for 10 year battery wireless aico`s (Grade F)

The radio link bases are good, I have used them a lot. I do prefere the hard wired option first, but these are great.

Aico also do a battery powered wireless one that links in with a 10 year battery in it too, it is about £95 if you need one.

The radio link bases are good, I have used them a lot. I do prefere the hard wired option first, but these are great.

Aico also do a battery powered wireless one that links in with a 10 year battery in it too, it is about £95 if you need one.
The battery powered one is what we have been talking about...would change your supplier if your paying that much

Reply to aico mains wired interlinked/radio linked smokes and heat detectors in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock