Discuss Aico smoke detector wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Bit of cross purpose I think, others where talking about isolation of the alarm, what I was addressing is that alarms should not be able to be isolated, the remote is an entirely different thing, it has been mentioned that one guy did not put the supply into the lighting circuit to prevent his father from turning if off, think it was "nicebutdim".

[E]
I don't understand the need for the isolator to the Aico alarms, the Lithium Battery will keep the alarm operational for four months after loosing power? unless the isolator is dual pole and its for isolation when testing?

The point of an isolator is to allow the isolation of the equipment for maintainence and repair.

Bit of cross purpose I think, others where talking about isolation of the alarm, what I was addressing is that alarms should not be able to be isolated, the remote is an entirely different thing, it has been mentioned that one guy did not put the supply into the lighting circuit to prevent his father from turning if off, think it was "nicebutdim".

I did the opposite as it was easy to envision my father turning off the circuit if there was a fault and never bothering to do anything further about it.

The idea of an isolation switch was something I'd been curious about after it had been mentioned earlier in the thread. I see subsequent posts clarified this being for maintenence etc, but with a total of 6 heads I just removed them and wago'd past the test switch for IR testing.

My point is, can you get x2 t+e cables terminated in it? Feed in and feed to next detector?
Yes. To make it easier I’ve used a couple of small cable ties around the outer sheath of the feed in and out to hold them together, which makes it easier when terminating the two conductors.

Anyone need a couple of Ei100MRF RadioLink+Module's I don't think I will have any use for them in the future?

I also have a 300 series smoke alarm with RadioLink if anyone is interested?

Last edited:
Installed six Aico Radio link alarms over the last couple of days and got them all talking to each other and the switch is showing the seven flashing lights, next thing is the Appolo CH radio link oil tank alarm goes off and shows a fault that says its over full, obviously interference cross talking to each other, nice to know the Aico alarms are the most robust and still work, but need to move the switch to another place to stop the cross communication.

02.00 this morning and I woke half way through the bedroom door to the sound of smoke alarms all sounding. 2nd time it has happened with the Firex units fitted in this house (middle of the night both times) and on different heads each time. No idea of the cause - obviously no smoke or heat and I can't see it being dust as they get lightly vacuumed each month in a fairly recently built house.

Disconnecting the head and removing the back up alkaline battery for a few minutes clears the issue and shows a green light, but I'm not sure they'll be here long enough for a 3rd false alarm...

02.00 this morning and I woke half way through the bedroom door to the sound of smoke alarms all sounding. 2nd time it has happened with the Firex units fitted in this house (middle of the night both times) and on different heads each time. No idea of the cause - obviously no smoke or heat and I can't see it being dust as they get lightly vacuumed each month in a fairly recently built house.

Disconnecting the head and removing the back up alkaline battery for a few minutes clears the issue and shows a green light, but I'm not sure they'll be here long enough for a 3rd false alarm...
I'm constantly get call outs from where I work, for false activation of domestic alarms. Think its down to the cheapo alarms and thunder flies. Although once, when I was inspecting the head, an ordinary fly fell out of it.

I'm constantly get call outs from where I work, for false activation of domestic alarms. Think its down to the cheapo alarms and thunder flies. Although once, when I was inspecting the head, an ordinary fly fell out of it.

I was expecting to find some residual dust, but everything was spotless.

One other issue I need to address came to mind as this thread started over termination space in Aicos. The Firex bases are considerably deeper, but seem to rely on connector blocks for termination - a couple of our heads don't sit flush because those terminations foul Firex's plug in connector. I don't feel like spending a few hundred replacing these alarms right now, but really don't see them staying here for their 10 year lifespan.

Any of you guys have the AudioLink, I have downloaded them to my phone (noisy) and all well and good, but when you send the report to your e-mail and hence to a folder, it changes it's format into a not very friendly strip across the page, what I would like to do is keep the same format as on the phone and post additional reports along side, anyone know if this can be done?

Sorted, I can now send and print off one report for a building with all the details of the alarms listed on one page, well the maximum of four alarms per page as the report is quite extensive, makes for a very impressive report.
[automerge]1597869351[/automerge]
Sample:

Attachments

• Aico Address blank copy.pdf
    208.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
True, I suppose the CO and Heat alarms will cope with that, think it's a Ei3028 that Aico make, have one in my Kitchen, but I don't smoke in the house, the Ei3024 though does go off occasionally in my Garden Office where I smoke but only for a short time, the radio link to the house alarms go off as well, much to the annoyance of my OH. :D

Confession time :mad: The RF link shows ten flashing lights, two for each detector sounds reasonable until you only have six, but then if you read the b....y instruction you have an indicator for each detector, if you have the Ei3028 that is two detectors by itself so with two Ei3028 and five Ei3024 you have nine indicators, so where is the other one, it's the Ei450 Alarm Controller, thought it may be of interest to others who may be like me and think they know what they are doing and do the typical male thing and not read the instruction. DOH.

As an update, if the order of the print out is important to you or the client and you want the most important alarm report at the top, then download into your phone in reverse order, least important first and so on, you can't change the order after it is downloaded, or at least I can't find a way to do it.

Reply to Aico smoke detector wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock