Discuss Aico smoke detector wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I used to put a round dry line box behind Aico alarms, otherwise the wires were exposed from the sheathing, if you get my drift.The mounting plate is quite thin.

PS I would include an isolator switch in your installation.

I prefer to fit a dry lining box behind them where possible, round or square works equally well.
You don't need to do it, and it is possible to connect them without, but it's just nicer in my opinion.
[automerge]1595961134[/automerge]
Does everybody use 1.5mm for their dedicated smoke detector circuits?

No, I would use 1mm for a 6A smoke detector circuit, same as I do for 6A lighting circuits.

I'm sure someone will be along to say that technically the minimum should be 1.5 as its not a lighting circuit, but I'm personally satisfied that the departure is no less safe.

As a DIY Dave I fitted Aicos to my parents house, some time back, fed in 1.5 T&E and interlinked with 1.5 3C&E.

Tried wiring the first base when fixed to the ceiling and that wasn't a great idea, but no problem terminating otherwise. The only issue I had was that flat cables coming through a round hole might let dust into the detectors, which seemed less than ideal, so once the bases were in place a bit of intumescent sealant was used to close the small void.

No, I would use 1mm for a 6A smoke detector circuit, same as I do for 6A lighting circuits.

I'm sure someone will be along to say that technically the minimum should be 1.5 as its not a lighting circuit, but I'm personally satisfied that the departure is no less safe.
[/QUOTE]

Yes, same, thought I'd see how others felt about it

Arn't they just a charging circuit to keep the lithium battery topped up, in which case 1mm is sufficient.

As a DIY Dave I fitted Aicos to my parents house, some time back, fed in 1.5 T&E and interlinked with 1.5 3C&E.

Tried wiring the first base when fixed to the ceiling and that wasn't a great idea, but no problem terminating otherwise. The only issue I had was that flat cables coming through a round hole might let dust into the detectors, which seemed less than ideal, so once the bases were in place a bit of intumescent sealant was used to close the small void.
Aicos best on the market every property should have them can easily fit 2 x 1.5mm in the terminals doesn’t matter if they are 1mm in my opinion though. And as for dust when they get serviced annually your meant to hoover them for that particular reason of dust ingress good point you made there ?

Aicos best on the market every property should have them can easily fit 2 x 1.5mm in the terminals doesn’t matter if they are 1mm in my opinion though. And as for dust when they get serviced annually your meant to hoover them for that particular reason of dust ingress good point you made there ?

1.5 is what gets used for lighting in NI, so I had stuck with convention. The dust issue might not ordinarily have been on my agenda, but it's a really old house with a serious build up above the ceilings that are still lath and plaster. Areas above each detector were cleaned well, but I didn't think it would take long for dust to settle again. Given the price of each unit it seemed best to aim for the full 10 years out of them!

1.5 is what gets used for lighting in NI, so I had stuck with convention. The dust issue might not ordinarily have been on my agenda, but it's a really old house with a serious build up above the ceilings that are still lath and plaster. Areas above each detector were cleaned well, but I didn't think it would take long for dust to settle again. Given the price of each unit it seemed best to aim for the full 10 years out of them!
Yes definitely go for the aicos also doing the expert installer course is an eye opener and I recommend it to every electrician. Even though they have 10 year lifespan they are still meant to be serviced annually

Yes definitely go for the aicos also doing the expert installer course is an eye opener and I recommend it to every electrician. Even though they have 10 year lifespan they are still meant to be serviced annually

Some years of work ahead before I could be elligible for an expert installer course.

They are not exposed, there’s a cover over the cables, there’s no cables exposed once the smoke head is removed.
I think you’re thinking of the wrong manufacturer

Blimey, didn’t realise my personal opinion would raise such discord.

I used Aico for quite a while and would also recommend them.

My preference of using dry line boxes behind them, came after I installed a smoke and CO2 detector in a tight for headroom loft space. After I fitted them, I could see wires slightly protruding out the back. Even after reterminating, it still didn’t look good. There I used a conduit boxes. Thereafter I started using dry liner boxes, surly that’s no big deal?

Whilst they can be terminated successfully, if the wires are kept really short, it’s not like terminating a ceiling rose, which has individual terminals. The back box, makes it an easier installation, and made me more confident the wires are properly terminated, especially with fat fingers.

Something perhaps not so controversial, as I said before, the use of Aico’s Locate and Remote Control Test Switch Surface, in an installation, is a very good idea IMO. :mask:

Something perhaps not so controversial, as I said before, the use of Aico’s Locate and Remote Control Test Switch Surface, in an installation, is a very good idea IMO. :mask:

I fiited an Aico test switch for my parents, to make testing easier with high ceilings. It's not something that would suit the decor of most homes, but practicality and function far outweighed form on this occasion. They've not had reason to use the locate or hush function as yet, but the test button makes it pretty easy for them to test each detector with a minimum of fuss.

One thing that didn't cross my mind was a means of isolation, which has been mentioned earlier in this thread. While I like the idea, I'm not sure how I feel about someone being able to isolate smoke detectors in the event of a fault - I'd hung the system off upstairs lighting to prevent my father doing exactly this, should a fault occur.

At the moment the detectors will just be fed from a dedicated circuit. To get to my consumer unit you need to move a shoe cabinet which isnt the easiest.

The only way I can see aboit preventing turning the smokes off in the event of a fault is to utilise the lighting circuit like mentioned above.

I thought about locations that were out of sight, but in the end it went beside the landing light switch. As they're now in their 80s it seemed prudent to allow easy access close to their bedroom.

Everything revolved around practicality in the renovations made to their home - also added two way switching in the landing for the hall light, so they wouldn't have to make extra journeys down the stairs. I figure that some day I might get old and it would be nice if the kids factored this into their thinking :D

I don't understand the need for the isolator to the Aico alarms, the Lithium Battery will keep the alarm operational for four months after loosing power? unless the isolator is dual pole and its for isolation when testing?

Just about to start pulling in the cables for my smile detectors, however I dint have the detectors yet. Is there enough room in the terminals to terminate a supply feed in and then loop out to the next detector or is a junction box required to house the feed and a supply taken from every J/B?
We should be encouraging smiles not trying to detect and eliminate them!

Dont you evacuate the property if the fire detection lion is in fault mode, i.e 'going off'? Just use an Aico locate, test and hush unit?

I don't understand the need for the isolator to the Aico alarms, the Lithium Battery will keep the alarm operational for four months after loosing power? unless the isolator is dual pole and its for isolation when testing?
As said, the Aico remote is to identify the alarm that activated (the other alarms are silenced); if it’s a false alarm, it can also be temporarily silenced. If that’s what you were asking?

Reply to Aico smoke detector wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock