Discuss Air conditioning unit on a type C mcb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Davey1988

Hey guys

The air con unit has a start current of 83amps and a running load of 13amps. It's currently wired in 6mm which takes 47amps which is obviously lower than 83amps, would you say this is OK Aslong as the mcb protects the cable.

Saying that if I used a 20amp type C mcb it would take 160 amp to trip within 5 sec and would take 20 secs with 80amp which should be enough time for the starting current. But after its loaded I'm worried that it will take 60 seconds to trip on 50 amps which is not acceptable for the cable.

Any advice or help on this?

This would still feed 50 amps for 30 seconds. Without disconnection.

In a unlikely event of the overloading to 50 amps Constantly wouldn't this cause a problem. Do u see where I'm coming from. Is this allowed

So are you saying I can install this in 2.5 since cable protection is 20 amp.

Seems unsafe and wrong.

Edit. I'm wanting to know of the logics of this that's all.

Seems unsafe and wrong.

you select a cable thats capable of carrying the nominal continuous running current of the equipment , which is 13A , not the short duration of initial over-current , which may be 50A and upwards.

whether that cable is to be 2.5mm will be dependant on circuit length & volt drop amongst other factors.

Ah I see. Since the length is 15 meters in 2.5 with 13 amps. It's 2.8899 volt drop which is fine and cable factors are fine which does not derate the cable below 20 amps.

Would I do the calcs on the start up current also or is the expected constant current flow is what we work from?

Would you install it in 2.5 going from the figures I've provided.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seems unsafe and wrong.

Of course you can!

Cable size calculations are based on Ib, not on the peak inrush current!

If we based cable size on inrush current we'd all be wiring LED downlights in 6mm T&E

You are a qualified electrician aren't you?

One of the reasons I was baffled as it was installed in 6mm. Which is way to big. Either it stated on manufacture instructions or they didn't have a clue
im betting they dont have a clue, if i remember right 6mm is good for around 40ish amps

not 81amps if thats what they were looking at

might have been manufacters instructions but i find that a bit strange

Heating and cooling capacity is exactly what it says on the tin.

It's the section labelled power input that concerns the electrical power input, as you can see it is expressed in both KW and Amps.

You'd normally want to see a power factor quoted on there too.

The starting current will help you to select a suitable OCPD for the supply to avoid tripping due to the inrush.

Taking a rough approximation your 20A mcb will see an inrush current 4X it's rating, and a type C I think is rated for inrush up to 6X it's rating.

One of the reasons I was baffled as it was installed in 6mm. Which is way to big. Either it stated on manufacture instructions or they didn't have a clue

Is it an old supply which has been re-used for a new unit at some point in time?

It is quite possible that a previous AC unit needed a 32A supply and when it was replaced they just changed the mcb.

Or the supply was installed for 32A with incorrect information from the AC contractor and had to be down rated to 20A when they had fitted the unit

Do you wanna even know the worst bit. It had a 32amp type b.

What's wrong with that? It makes a lot more sense of the 6mm T&E if it has a 32A B type.

The MCB is there to provide fault and overload protection for the cable, it does not provide provide protection for the appliance.

A 32A type B will be fine with that starting current and sounds right for providing protection for 6mm T&E so no problem.

Reply to Air conditioning unit on a type C mcb in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net