Discuss Air conditioning unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Im putting a new circuit in tomorrow for an air conditioning unit (im just doing the supply side). Am I right in thinking a standard 30ma rcd and b type breakers can’t be used with air conditioning units?
Tia

Im putting a new circuit in tomorrow for an air conditioning unit (im just doing the supply side). Am I right in thinking a standard 30ma rcd and b type breakers can’t be used with air conditioning units?
Tia
Depends on the size and voltage of the A/C unit Elliott 96, length of run, type of installation method, etc etc too many imponderables to make a snap decision like that.

I presume an air con company is doing the install.
ask the people supplying and installing it what spec they want for the supply.
if at all possible get them to email the spec to you.
that way if its wrong, you can divert the blame and cost back to them.

Tia
Think inrush on start up, many time during the working day?

I have had similar issues with compressors where the customer just asks for a 32A isolator fitting.
then calls back urgently to say the compressor guy is here and says the supply isn't big enough etc.

what cable?

Hi Elliott

RCD would not be a requirement of the unit and you can avoid the additional protection requirement by your install method.

Type B is not recommended due to the inductive load of the compressor in condensor unit. They are almost all inverter driven now though so inrush is not generally an issue. C type is more suited to this type of load however and you should design to this.

near the bottom of the page.

suggested fuse 25A
if it were me I think 25A C type is what id be putting in.

Attachments

• CU-5Z90TBE_1,Specification_Sheet.pdf
    268 KB · Views: 5
Surely its better to have it on a rcd than not? I was going to install a sub db anyway as theres no spare ways so can install a main switch and chuck the rcd
a RCD is basically to protect persons from inadvertent contact with live parts. what is the chance of this happening in this situation?

Going to use 10mm twin and earth inside the house and then armoured on the outside

just the supply!
Why 10mm2, what do your cable calculations tell you? have you done any? What are your plans for isolation purposes? Why the cable type change?

Reply to Air conditioning unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock