Discuss Air source heat pump, solar and underfloor heating advice... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

sythai

-
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all....

More questions again, thanks in advance chaps.

Basically part way through a job where they are having:

• Underfloorheating (wet system)
  • Airsource heat pump
  • Solar

... just trying to suss it all out, have hardly ever done any heating systems before, in at deep end here and like the challenge. I've got no problem with reading wiring diagrams, but it is how each system links with each other that gets me? Plumber hasnt got much of clue either, great! Trying to get to grips with just basics first. This is what I understand so far:

• Underfloor is split into 3 zones - stat for each back to manifold

• S plan system being used: 2 zone valves, pump, cyclinder stat, programmer, cylinder with 2 coils (one for solar, and for airsource)

• Airsource heat pump and solar takes the place of the boiler in a conventinal S plan system

Airsource:

• Power in understand ok.
  • Pair out to pump, understand ok.
  • Controller which just plugs in, just for setting temp diagnostics etc, understand ok.

• Water temp sensor, goes to thermal store or buffer tank if have one ?
  • Pair shown on my drawing going out to boiler ? Why would you have boiler and also airsource pump?
  • Pair out to each zone valve... no terminal but says to connect to directly to 2 white wires in PCB... but I will need 2 wires for each zone valve so surley I would need 4 wires to connect to?

Solar:

• Apparently plumber is installing it, would there be any electrics involved?

Underfloor Heating:

• Havent had a chance to look at this properly yet, have just got a stat in each zone wired back to maifold.

Most of the gear is located in same cupboard which makes it easier and the airsoure is directly outside. Just have to run cable upstairs for cylinder stat and solar if required.

Customer asked me today how he would switch between airsource and solar, any ideas what happens here?

Hope someone can make some sort of sense of that and maybe point me in the right direction. I have got someone that can help out if I really do get stuck but want try and do this off my own back,

Cheers again,

Sy :)

Ummm well thought as much, my explainnation of what I'm after probably isnt that good.

Think I'll have to rephrase, re-post and maybe also stick in heating engineers forum,

No worries,

Sy :rolleyes:

As I understand it the airsource heat pump will not work in very cold conditions, hence the need for a boiler.

Thansk Rory.... ended up getting fitter/plumber to do all control wiring in the end, was a bit of a nightmare and beyond me this time !! Wouldnt have been so bad if there was only one schematic and all the different components were the same make:rolleyes:

Air source heat pumps can work at low temps. They don't heat the water to as high a temp as an conventional boiler would. Thats why it is used on underfloor heating. The only reason i can think of for the boiler is that there is conventional heating i.e. radiators. When the underfloor heating cannot heat the building sufficiently then a signal is sent to the boiler to fire up for the radiators to supply additional heating.

I would google the air source heat pump and find out how it is supposed to work.

Not sure if this helps but let me know if you find out exactly how its to work thanks. Would be quite intresting to know.

Cheers

rtonne10

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Air source heat pump, solar and underfloor heating advice... in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock