Discuss Airbnb testing thoughts in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
What's your view? Is there any literature? Stories?
Airbnb leittings are for furnished rooms, flats and houses (and shepherds huts etc) that are supplied with electrics and are kitted out with appliances.
4th edition PAT in service guidelines cover hotels (for guests as "members of the public" as well as employees), and rented accommodation.
Landlords must get electrical installation periodic tests done for new tenants.
Are there any guidelines for furnished holiday lettings? Tim in house lettings, Airbnb lettings?
I'm asking as an Airbnb user or guest, Airbnb host and testy old sparky.

I do some PA Testing for AirBNB properties, and treat them just like normal tenanted properties. The only difference is that due to the short term nature of AirBNB "tenancies" and the vagaries of different users, and given that we don't recommend testing intervals on PRSs any more, as that is up to the "controller" to decide, I suggest shorter intervals where there are multiple occupants (AirBNB) than in real tenancies (PRS) and it is often the case that very short term rentals show decidedly more wear and tear than rentals where the tenants are making a proper home, not just renting for a week.
AFAIK, other European rentals have lower requirements, but when I do tests in Spain for some of my pals, I always apply the same rules as in UK...is it safe at the time of test, and is there any indication that, like an MOT, the test is likely to be valid only for that day? I've seen carelessness/vandalism/stupidity that suggests short term rentals are likely to result in dangerous situations the day after testing.

Reply to Airbnb testing thoughts in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock