Discuss Alarm Control Panel in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Timmins93

DIY
Reaction score
Good evening all,

I was just wondering if anyone could lend a word of advice/help. I am not very good at DIY unfortunately

I am a first time buyer having moved in around 3 weeks ago and today virgin media come to install my internet, however I think he has drilled through the wall close to where the alarm wiring is, which set the alarm off, we don’t know the code so he took some fuses and disconnected some wires inside the control box to silence the alarm.

Although tonight I just checked it and can hear a slight electric ‘hmm’ sound coming from the control box and now I am worrying if this is safe or a potential fire risk or is there anything I can do to make it safe until I can get paid again before having someone to remove this old alarm.

If anyone has any advice or could recommend a good engineer close to Wolverhampton I would be extremely grateful as I am very worried now.

Thank you

Attachments

• 78BFFAE5-2331-41D2-87EE-1B4FDBA30723.jpeg
    36.2 KB · Views: 28
  • F16547D1-E563-4D8E-8332-2780D2F7CD6E.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 29
The hum is most likely just the power supply transformer. Is there a fused connection unit nearby? I'm surprised he didn't pull the internal mains fuse if he was disconnecting things in the panel.

The hum is most likely just the power supply transformer. Is there a fused connection unit nearby? I'm surprised he didn't pull the internal mains fuse if he was disconnecting things in the panel.

Hi Freddo,

I am not sure he disconnected the red & black wires but left two blue wires completely bare? I will take two more photos see below.

Many thanks for the reply mate
[automerge]1586643453[/automerge]
Sorry I forgot to add he also took this out which is a long black box? Rechargeable battery?

Attachments

• 557E584B-B7A1-4F84-910D-0F34680DAB70.jpeg
    100.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 7761DD75-F6EC-4F95-9D2D-C65EDD0D964C.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 30
  • C302D1ED-EC0D-42F6-9130-369CF69A5E29.jpeg
    90.9 KB · Views: 25
Safest way is to switch off the electric supply to your house at the main fuse box. Then pull out the fuse to the right of the transformer, it's location is shown as a red rectangle on the sticker on the transformer. Fit the cover back on the alarm panel and then turn the electric back on. That should stop the humming.

The question is what cable did he hit.what type of building is it.

Hi,

I know I am beginning to wonder and it’s only a two bed semi

Thank you
[automerge]1586647656[/automerge]
Safest way is to switch off the electric supply to your house at the main fuse box. Then pull out the fuse to the right of the transformer, it's location is shown as a red rectangle on the sticker on the transformer. Fit the cover back on the alarm panel and then turn the electric back on. That should stop the humming.

thanks freddo I will give that a go in the morning just until I can get it completely removed

Reply to Alarm Control Panel in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net